Emergency Wormer Question????

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by myrandaandkids, Aug 15, 2006.

1. myrandaandkids

myrandaandkids Well-Known Member

:shrug: first off we continue to find little nastys that i think maybe fly larva in the hutches, but im not exactly sure if thats what it is, maybe one of my rabbits has worms?i dont know as i dont know what to look for, even if it is fly larva im sure it is not healthy for my rabbits, so i want to worm them, i have moved the pen and disinfected the hutch and sprayed it with fly spray incase that is the problem, we clean out the hay every three days so i need to know if it is fly infestation how do i keep it from happening, what am i doing wrong, and now i have decided to worm them all just in case..... my feed store guy told me that i should just use dog wormer and break it down per pound is this true?and if so how much per pound?if not what do i need to use? :help:

2. MaggieJ

MaggieJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't think I would use a dog wormer on rabbits. Feed store people are not always as knowledgeable as we would like them to be, and some people simply can't bring themselves to admit that they don't know and will answer very much at random without thinking about the consequences.

Perhaps one of the rabbits sites listed in the sticky at the top of the page has information. I seem to remember a thread about feeding pumpkin seeds as a wormer, but not sure how much or how often.

How are your rabbits housed? If they are off the floor on wire, how would they get worms in the first place?

3. BellsBunnies

BellsBunnies Well-Known Member

We use 1/10 of a cc of Ivermectin per every 5 pounds of body weight. This will also help with fur mites -fleas -ear mites.

Or you can use Piperazine(Wazine is the same thing)You use 2 tbsp per gallon for 5 day straight.Then do it again 10 days later to break the cycle. Make sure you clean the cages so they dont' get re-infected from the eggs.
    You should be able to get both at the feed store.

You can check to see If your rabbits have worms by placing a peice of scotch tape on their but and pulling it off - rabbits mostly get pinworms If you do worm them you will probably see them after the 3rd day.

My guess is it is probably fly larva - Is the bottom of your hutch wire? so that most of the waste falls out? With the heat you may have to clean more often than you are. Maybe check on some hay-feeders you can make your own easily. This will help cut down on hay waste and be alot cleaner.
    Be very careful about spraying the fly spray in the hutch - it will saturate the wood and the rabbit will more than like chew the inside of the hutch somewhere -
    You can use bleach diluted 1 part to 10 to disinfect the cage .

4. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

Does your hutch have a solid floor? I'm guessing that you're dealing with fly larva if hay is accumulating in the corners and getting damp. You wouldn't BELIEVE how fast maggots hatch. :p (They look like dirty little grains of rice, BTW.) Pinworms are longer and threadlike...personally, I've only seen them in the intestine during slaughter.

The best way to combat fly larva is to keep things clean and dry...don't let hay accumulate on the floor if your cages are wire-bottomed. If you have a solid-floored hutch, then you should probably clean out the wet spots every day. Underneath the cages (if you have wire flooring), you can put down a bit of wood ash, baking soda, or hydrated lime to help dry things out and neutralize the acidic urine.

Wazine 17 (piperazine) can be used to worm rabbits...just dose according to the directions for chickens on the back of the bottle.

5. jeff caldwell

jeff caldwell Well-Known Member

worming with ivermic do you give it by shot and where at?

6. Danaus29

Danaus29 Well-Known Member Supporter

Ivomectin horse wormer paste, a pea sized dab on a piece of bread or banana, 2 doses 7 days apart. I have used it for fur mites and it worked really well for that (buggers were biting ME also). I use pumpkin seeds for intestinal worms. A small handful every day for 1 to 2 weeks. It truly does work. I didn't know my house rabbit had worms until after the pumpkin seed treatment, then he passed a bunch of dead worms. Gave the pumpkin seeds to every other rabbit and 2 others also passed dead worms. ICK! If you are talking about maggots though that is a totally different story. Those maggots can kill a rabbit by eating the flesh under the skin. House Rabbit Society has a very good article about fly strike and how to treat it.

7. jeff caldwell

does this take care of all worms?

8. Danaus29

Which, the ivomec, pumpkin seeds, or piperazine???

9. pasotami

pasotami Hangin out at the barn!

This year I am having a terrible time with the flies and maggots. I think it is all the rain. If I do not clean the pans of the breeders every day - boom, nasty bugs. I have used Dursaban (hope I spelled that right) this year and I spray the pans and under the hutches.... I don't like using it but this year I have had too. On my Angoras, I have used Ivermectin Pour On for Cattle - works well and I don't have to try and get it in their mouth. Just do not buy the kind that kills liver flukes - buy the regular kind.

10. jeff caldwell

i am new with rabbits and would like to make sure they don't get worms we are raising them to eat. which one of these do i need to use? :shrug:

11. Jennifer L.

Jennifer L. Well-Known Member Supporter

If you raise them in wire coops/hutches, and you don't have manure gathering in the corners, you shouldn't have to worry about worms. Worms come from eating off the ground. If they don't contact them, they won't get them. Coccidia is more likely to be a problem when the rabbits have contact with manure, so if the coops have wood frames with wire the manure can build up in the corners (ask me how I know this!) and you can get a problem that way if coccidia is a problem with your buns.

In general, I've never seen worms as a problem with rabbits, and have never wormed them myself. I've heard that coccidia can be. Check the livers of the first ones you butcher and if they are looking good, you don't have a problem with it.

Jennifer

12. Danaus29

From some of the info I've read it's very common for rabbits to have intestinal worms and they can be spread from mother to babies. I don't know if it is possible for rabbits to ingest worm spores from the alfalfa and clover in hay or pellets, I do know some old times claim that hay can contain worm spores. Also if you give your rabbits any treats that any other mammal could possibly have pooped on, even if the poop is washed off it is possible they could contract worms. Don't know how easy they do get worms, I just treat them anyway. The pumpkin seeds do not contain any chemicals that are toxic to humans and there is no toxic build-up. I do know that some man-made wormers take a while to break down in the body before it is safe to butcher the animals. IMO, because of the price and safety of the pumpkin seeds that would be the preferred wormer. Another point is that you can't always know for sure if a rabbit has worms, so the man-made wormer would be worthless if you are treating a non-existant condition. My rabbits enjoy the pumpkin seeds and view them as treats. You have to make your own decision but I prefer something non-toxic, except to the worms.

13. pasotami

pasotami Hangin out at the barn!

I raise my butcher rabbit is a "rabbit tractor", a moveable wire bottom hutch. They are in contact with the ground and I have never seen an evidence that the ones in this hutch have intestinal worms during butcher time (and I look at the livers and contents of the GI tract just to be sure). As long as your hutches and pens are clean, and you are butchering young there should not be a problem with intestinal worms. Now fly larva is another topic and what myrandaandkids have seen in their pans.... maggots. They are nasty and fly control can be a real problem. This is where I use insectacide in my breeder pans and on the floor (concrete). At times we get mites (from the cats) on the rabbits and I will use Ivermectin Pour On for cattle (regular and not the kind for liver flukes) a couple of drops on the back and right behind the ears and the mites and scratching is gone.

14. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

I'd be more concerned about maggots than intestinal worms. Intestinal worms, especially pinworms, are actually fairly common and they don't necessarily *hurt* the rabbit unless there's a heavy worm load. (Sounds gross, I know.) But fly larvae can essentially eat your rabbit from the inside out if he gets infected.

15. susieM

susieM Well-Known Member

I agree, pick up each rabbit and check every inch on them. They may have gotten nicked or scratched and have drawn flies...who lay eggs....that hatch maggots...that eat rabbits....alive!