Emergency weather radio opinions sought...

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Elizabeth, Jun 9, 2005.

1. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Well-Known Member Supporter

Need a little help from my friends, please.....
    I want to get DH a radio for his birthday next week, but looking on the internet there are so many to choose from that I am completely befuddled. I am sure many of you already have emergency radios, so I hope that I can get some recommendations here-

I know that I want to get him the kind that has access to the NOAA channels, has hand crank and solar charging options, but beyond that I am unsure.

I found this one on ebay tonight-
    eton FR300 Emergency Radio crank powered AM/FM/TV/Weather/Light/Cell Phone Charger which seems to have a lot of bells and whistles, but I am not familiar with this brand. I want to get a good-quality unit which will last a long time, so any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Also found a Grundig model, at least I am familiar with some of their products-
    Grundig FR200 Emergency Radio crank powered. The ad says it recieves AM, FM, SW1, and SW2 stations, but doesn't mention NOAA.

All I know is that after getting married last year during Hurricane Frances, plus living through Charlie, Ivan, and Jeanne, and losing power during a couple of them, he is going to want a radio that is sturdy, reliable, macho, etc., lol. Thanks for helping.

Elizabeth
    (Mrs. Jackpine Savage)

2. bgood

bgood Member

Hi Elizabeth,

The Grundig is a fine radio. The FR200 doesn't have NOAA but the FR300 does. You can get it here http://www.ambientweather.com/grframrawino.html for $49.95.

3. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

If you want to get a weather radio, then get a weather radio with SAME. SAME is Specific Area Message Encoding. This is a code to allow you to pick the alert type and area you want to cover. The nation weather service weather radio's cover a wide area and the old alterting system would alter all people on the same freq of a weather alert. I would get alerts for a county 50 miles away. SAME allows you to pick the county/parish and only alert you to problem in that county (or multi counties).

4. NWSneaky

NWSneaky Well-Known Member

I don't have a clue but thank you very much for caring about his wants. My big kid and I have Internet access to lots of weather 'stuff'. (He has a computer at work also and our local radio station is excellent at notifying all listeners).

5. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

You might already have a weather band radio if it is part of your walkie-talkie set-up. My Motorola has it on it.

I love my Grundig YachtBoy that runs on batteries, but it isn't necessarily rugged, though I have taken it on train trips, camping, used it in emergencies, use it each week. Don't worry about getting one that has a light, etc. just get one that can easily be used and heard. I have a small solar/crank radio/light I got from Cheaperthandirt.com years ago that I have dropped, etc. and it still does alright in a pinch though the reception is by a dial so it is hard to zero in on a station sometimes. But I have gotten my $15 out of it, including listening to baseball games out doing yard work.

6. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

We bought one (brand?)and the plastic handcrank broke the first time we needed it (months after buying and losing the receipt).

7. Mandy

Mandy Well-Known Member

I bought my boyfriend a portable hand held one...it is not a crank or solar power, but just thought I would tell you about it. I got it from LLBean on line. It is an Oregon Scientific. It has SAME and NOAA, he loves it and brings it with him everywhere, it has come in handy too.

He is a logger and listens to it all the time so he knows what to expect for weather, and when.

You can get the radio codes online.

Mandy

8. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

I recently purchased a Coleman Outrider am/fm. With our three hurricanes last year I got sick and tired of hearing NOAA weather radio. Can you say BORING? :boring: The local stations all had generators and were much more lively and informative. This radio has a hand crank and also has solar or battery or dc power options. It is small and lightweight and sounds excellent. We bought it at REI.com :)

9. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks so much for all the suggestions. I did not realize from the description that the FR300 is also made by Grundig. That is the one I went for- it just arrived this morning, which happens to be DH's birthday (whew! that was close!!) via UPS. DH is playing with it now, lol.

I think this is a really cool radio and I might buy some more for gifts for my relatives who live in Florida, since it looks as if hurricanes may be imminent again this season. One feature that would be really useful for all my yuppie relatives is the cell phone charger. We don't have cell phones, but boy, what a crisis theirs all were during last year's hurricanes, lol. They all kept running out to their cars to recharge their phones.