emergency water storage

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by jenrob2005, Feb 14, 2005.

1. jenrob2005

jenrob2005 New Member

Hello.
    I am looking for the most economical way to store a large amount of water in case of emergency. Any info would help.
    Thanks!

2. Big Sky Country

Big Sky Country Well-Known Member

I go to the Pepsi plant in Billings and get their syrup jugs. They are about 4 gallons and free. I wash them out with hot water and let them cool off. I then put water and a little bleach in. I store them in a dark place. I also get a marker and write the month and year.

If you have one near you, call them up and ask. Stop by and talk with someone that works in the office, they will send you to the right person.

3. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

.............You can buy these large , heavy plastic , round tanks in 250 gallon up to 3000 gallon capacities , usually in 500 gallon increments when you get above the 1000 gallon size . Of course , you would want a filtration\purification system of some sort to pump your water thru before dispersing throught your home or dwelling . fordy... :)

4. motivated

motivated Well-Known Member

I bought barrels thru SOS Survival Products. 1-800-479-7998 they will send you a catalog. They are specifically for long term water storage and I add a preserver that is good for 5 years. They come in 20,30,or 55 gallon sizes.
    Jodi
    PS A good source for first aid type items.

5. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

Jodi, thanks so much for that phone number!

6. Lrose

Lrose Well-Known Member

You should see the other poster who had the 250 gallon milk tank. If it is stainless steel and has the covers it would be excellent for storing water.

7. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

I have several thousand, perhaps several hundred thousand, of gallons stored in the ground. I access my stored water with a hand pump.

8. OD

OD Well-Known Member

I've heard that waterbeds are a good way to store a large amount of water. I don't think you could drink it, though if you put the recommended chemicals in it.

9. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

I have several of the 55 gallon blue plastic barrels. I change out the water once a year.

10. amelia

amelia Well-Known Member

Please don't drink the water from your waterbed! Those algecides mean business. With the temperature cranked up to 80-90 degrees, you really have no choice but to use heavy-duty chemicals to keep the bed from becoming a science experiment.

11. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

I have several 55gal food grade barrels. The best solution I have seen is a large 250 gallon food grade farm tank plumbed into the water system. Water was continually going through the tank but if ever lost water pressure you can still go to the tank and manually drain the water as needed. This way you always have fresh water in the tank and your maintenace is minimal.

12. Don Armstrong

Don Armstrong In Remembrance

If you're going to store water long-term, they still haven't improved on chlorine to sterilise it first (and you must). However, one of the cheapest ways to get bulk chlorine is as swimming-pool chlorine. It's all the same stuff as bleach or town-water supplies once you dissolve it.

13. nans31

nans31 Well-Known Member

I am also looking for water storage options. My well went dry for 2 weeks last summer! I went to Pepsi and bought the 50 or 55 gal barrels for 5.00 each. I have a pump hooked up to the house and can pump water out of the barrels throughout the house (we don't drink it tho). I go to the PUD and they will sell me water, at the going rate. I filled up 4 barrels at a time 4 times and didn't even use enough to charge me!
    I'm looking at other options for this summer.