Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this down in S&EP forum, but know that many don't come down there and visit, and I think this might cool your home, and save you some $$ on the electric bill on these very high (100* and above) days.

Just to pass along a little hint in this 100* weather many places are having.

Get one silver film emergency blanket and cut in half along it's equator. Then take a piece and with a couple of pieces of tape put them next to the window and whatever else you have a window covering. It cost about $2 a blanket at walmart/kmart etc camping section.

I've done this to the windows on the east side of my mobile home and today when the city had an hour blackout due to a substation shut down, I got home an hour later, and it was still cool and my next door neighbor came in and was amazed at the difference in my place and hers, and her air conditioner was running.

I did this to cut down on the electric bill and heat entering during this heat wave. Cheap and effective.

(But you will be feeling like a stick of gum wrapped in silver foil).

I do not have it on the West windows and the trees I'm under block almost all of that in the evening.

Just hoped this might be inexpensive enough to help some of the other HT'ers wanting to cut down on electricity and heat during this time.

Angie

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
thanks for the hint, probably easier than aluminum foil!! lol

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
Thanks so much for this tip. We need all we can get. Our temp tomorrow is suppose to be 103. Mon and Tues 105. That not heat index. I think it got up to 113 in some places yesterday. Just depends on how much cement and asphalt is around.
Thanks

·
Level II -Inappropriate
3,158 Posts
Amazingly, a frozen jug of water set in front of a fan makes a difference too. We kept it 14 degrees cooler than outside yesterday,shut the house up around 9 am.

·
Premium Member
2,005 Posts
I've been thinking of making some window quilts. Hmmm....wonder if I could sandwich that between the fabric?
karen in Indiana

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The nice thing about this silver film - you still get the impression of windows and some light in and they are translucent and not solid so you don't feel quilte so closed in. And it's very very simple and light weight. Only need two one inch pieces of tape to hold them up.

And they can be folded up if you want to see out better, then let back down later...

Angie

·
Premium Member
3,891 Posts
I use the silver/bubble wrap stuff on most of my windows. I'm in a mobile home with no trees, no shade at all. The silver reflects the sun back out, and it makes a huge difference.

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Probably would as I used them between regular blankets on myself a long time ago when FL had ice in St. Petersburg. It does matter some which side of the film goies. But they are made to hold body heat in in an emergency situation.

Angie

·
Registered
11,076 Posts
For those with large needs reflective mylar is quite available on Ebay in rolls of 1 or 2 mil thickness. Some are "Buy it Now" so that you could get the purchase on the way quickly without bidding.

I bought some last year to use for building a batch solar water heater.

I haven't made a solar light tube yet, but think it could also be used to cover the inside of light tubes such as these.
http://www.solatube.net/
http://www.powerhousetv.com/stellent2/groups/public/documents/pub/phtv_se_li_bu_002929.hcsp
http://www.inhabitat.com/2006/12/28/solar-tube/

·
Premium Member
7,230 Posts
Are you putting this on outside or inside house?

·
nosey, but disinterested
3,220 Posts
When I lived in Ga. in a single wide I ran a soaker hose down the length of the trailer in the summer and ran it on med low from about noon til about 6 pm. Helped a lot to keep the place cool without A/C. Wish I had had those reflective curtains, too. I imagine now there is a rule about how much water you can use for nonsense like that.

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm putting it inside the house. Just pulling down the windows and taking a piece and using a small piece of scotch tape on the top two corners to the window frame - then I have blinds that come down and one window also has a medium weight curtain...

I'm thinking of making new curtains and using this stuff as the backing so when I close the curtains they will be more effective.

Also, when it's bright outside you can see thru this like darkend car windows.

Angie

1 - 13 of 13 Posts