emergency situation with Poison Oak!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by oceanmist, Jun 3, 2006.

1. oceanmist

oceanmist Well-Known Member

Hi all, my sister has developed a severe case of poison oak. She works with goats and gets it from the hay they feed and from the goats.

This time it has caused one of her eyes to swell shut and is in the eye...
    she went to the ER and they've prescribed Prednisone tablets...

isn't there anything else that will help? I just know what I have seen Prednisone do to people and I know that she doesn't need the side effects of this drug....
    does any one out there know of any natural "cures"?

Thanks Misty

please email me at oceanmistrabbitry@yahoo.com thanks

2. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

My daughter used a compress of steamed comfrey on her then-fiancee's arm when he got poison ivy really bad one time, but that won't work on an eye.

I wouldn't worry too much about the prednisone for a short-term use like this. It's the long-term use that causes all the serious problems (and I do know about them -- have a SIL with lupus, and she's had to have both hips replaced because of the prednisone they had her on for years). With an eye involved, I think she needs to keep taking the prednisone. Herbal remedies might help, if there is something safe for the eyes that will work, but she shouldn't quit taking the prednisone.

Kathleen

3. Boleyz

Boleyz Prognosticator, Artist

My wife is SEVERELY allergic to poison ivy and recently got it from one of our horses as it rubbed up against her.

She had to go to the ER, and the Prednisone was the only solution...she was on it for nearly 2 weeks.

It made her talk fast, work fast and be irritible.

Don't take anything to heart that comes from someone on prednisone...she'll get better....

4. Boleyz

Boleyz Prognosticator, Artist

These severe allergic reactions can cause permanent scarring. That's another reason why I wouldn't fool around with a natural cure...JMHO

If her eye is already swelled shut, she needs help quickly

5. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

the prednisone for just a week or two has few of the side effects we fear from longer term so continue on it. Anithistamines like chlorpheniramine might help also. Good luck.