EMERGENCY!!! please help

Discussion in 'Goats' started by yarrow, Jan 14, 2007.

1. yarrow

yarrow Ages Ago Acres Nubians Supporter

--I have a nubian buckling (born late Oct) he was FINE two hours ago. He is now yelling and his head is drawing to the side. I'm suspecting polio His temp is 102.6. He weighs 40 lbs. He has had his CD&T, he has been reg. wormed and on cocci treatment. His sister is now acting odd also. She is standing quitely with her coat puffed up. Our weather here has gone from warm and wet to this awful ice storm. I have quite a few drugs on hand. JUST need to KNOW what/how much to give. Tried to call Vicki, didn't get an answer HELP Both kids have recently began to eat more grain, esp in the last few days.
    susie

2. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

since it's a buckling and you're feeding grain I would say there's a good chance that it's UC. Watch and see if he strains to pee. I don't know what to say about the doeling, it could just be that she's confused about her brother... But watch her.

3. goatlover270

goatlover270 Well-Known Member

Awww, wish I could offer some more helpful advice. Just a few questions though. You said they stared eating more, how much more and how are their bowels and urinating?How about the urinary troubles, any from the little buckling?? Could they be cold?? I know when mine get cold or weather gets colder, they eat more at times. I know when my Baby Boy was sick his brother acted odd, I guess with all the excitement.
    I am just throwing things out there, but I know that there are more out here that can help with this situation, perhaps. I am not sure on this one.
    yes, Vicki, is hard to get ahold of, I have tried to call her a few times myself.
    Have you called a vet? How about looking on Goatworld.com???
    How is the nanny acting? Are the kids nursing still???
    Someone, should come along soon to offer more info. Hang in there, meantime keep an eye on him and take notes. Try to get ahold of vet and look up goatworld
    I wish you luck and I hope to see some improvements with your little ones. Let us know.

4. yarrow

It's not UC, it's not over eaters. Mom is fine. mom is fine. It's sunday and in the middle of an ice storm. (always my luck) I'm pretty sure he has polio. I need the dosage for the thiamine. ANYONE know for sure? My bottle is Thiamine each ml/22mg
    thanks for the ideas..
    susie

5. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

Here is a link to read on Goat Polio and Listeriosis. Listeriosis or Goat Polio

I'm no expert but trying to offer some help before I go out to eat.

Good Luck with your goat. I will be praying and keeping my fingers crossed for you. :)

6. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

Forgot to add this for you also. Here is another site for you to read and check out it has lots of information on how to treat a goat for Diseases.

I thought of this site before I went out my door to go out to eat and thought I get back on here really fast to post it.

List of diseases and conditions

OK I will now get out the door before my hubby shoots me.

Good Luck on your little goats and I will be thinking of you all. :cool:

7. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

Thiamine dosages explained:

http://www.greatgoats.com/articles/calculating_dosages.html

Merck's dosage for thiamine is 10mg of thiamine per kilogram of goat. The website above will show you how to calculate the dosage no matter what potency of thiamine you have (a good site to bookmark, hint hint)

Start him on penicillin g if you have it, since many times listerosis and polio start the same, and neither drug will interfer with the other.

Is he stargazing?

8. yarrow

Thanks guys. just gave the thiamine... came in the house to see if anyone had posted. HOW MUCH pen g? (again, thank you all for doing the thinking for me. I've been out taking temps and checking all 6 kids, all oct/early nov all between 40 -60lbs)
    (yes Doc, he's stargazing and pulling to the right)
    susie

9. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

How much does he weigh? Estimation is okay. Do you have any banamine?

10. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

I see the weight now. 3-5 CC's per 100 lbs is what I give, pen G, I'd give him 3 CC's. Sub q doesn't work as fast, but is safer with a little guy, if you're confident, give it IM.

He's pretty small, you could give him like 1/2 CC of banamine if you have it, will make him feel better - polio gives hellacious headache.

11. yarrow

he's probably between 43-48. I'd have to tape him to know for sure. YES, I have banamine. I gave the thiamine, maybe 45 mins ago. Is it possible that it can work that fast? he is already much better, not as drawn. He is still head tilted and stargazing a bit, but alert and walking. No more laying and screaming.
    susie

12. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, if it's polio, and you catch it quick, the thiamine is like a miracle drug. Keep him on it for a couple of days.

13. yarrow

Well, he's still holding his head oddly and one eye is looking up (lovely look LOL) BUT he's trying Alfalfa pellets! he's chewing fine and not drooling. Will keep everyone updated.
    again, thanks for the ideas, the links, the dosages & the info.
    susie

14. goatlover270

goatlover270 Well-Known Member

you were saying that he is eating alfalfa pellets...How do those work? Is it like eating alfalfa hay? I am curious. I was wondering if it is same as what i have been told about alfalfa hay for bucklings and billys. Not good for them to have it??? Don't know :shrug: if it is exactly true or not, I just usually use other forms of hay anyway and have the alfalfa for the other animals. I am no :wizard: am still learning alot myself, so that is why I was curious....Anyone?
    Thanks.

15. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

My boys get a little alfalfa pellets, not much, about a lb per guy while the girls get about 3 lbs. The boys have access to good grass hay too. Seems like there's been a lot of discussion about too much alfalfa being bad for them, but then people will post that it's all their boys eat...? I think it depends on what other minerals supplements they're getting or not getting. Here's an article by a guy I respect.

http://www.jackmauldin.com/health/urinary calculi.htm

16. Sher

Sher Well-Known Member

Hi..Our boys only eat alfalfa hay. No problems .. have done it for seven years. But they also don't get any grain. I actually had a big whether get UC when we changed a big bale. Went from his alfalfa to a grass hay. Threw his system off and off to the races we went.

I sure don't have a clue about alfalfa pellets though, as I have never used them.

17. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

The only alfalfa hay I could find this year was "chopped" and formed into these little bales that were like freeze dried - they fall to dust when you open them and cost about $11 per 70 lb bale. I think the good stuff went south and east where the hay extortionists are getting something ridiculous like $20 a bale. Pellets are a good alternative, $9 per 50 lb bag.

18. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

Great link, Doc. Thanks

Niki

19. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

I would also suggest some probiotics to help re-establish the bacteria needed to produce the B vitamin.

20. copperpennykids

copperpennykids Well-Known Member Supporter

Don't forget to give him the thiamine every 6 hours for the next 3 days (at least) and then (if he seems better) 2 X day for a total of 10 days.
    When our doe had Polio we also gave B-complex along with it, 3ccs fortified b-complex for a kid this small. And you definitely want to give probios and maybe even steal cud from another goat as some sort of rumen problem is what led you into polio in the first place.