Emergency Please Help!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Farmboy, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Farmboy

Farmboy Well-Known Member

We had a set of triplets born yesterday around noon. (Their mother was bottlefed and is not mothering properly) Yesterday they were doing fine, but now our little buckling needs help! He got chilled and went limp, even after we got him warm. Then he started scouring. He would not drink so we had to feed him replacer w/ a tube. He seems a little better, but is still limp and scouring! Please help!

2. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

Here this is what we followed when our doe died and we had to feed her son, which I am still doing. Quote: Buckshotboers
    If you can't get purina or another kind, you can make a homemade one that works great. 1gal whole milk. 1can evaporated milk, 1 cup buttermilk. (not the lowfat kind).
    Pour off 4 cups of whole milk. Add butter milk, evaporated milk (the whole can). Add back as much whole milk as will fit, shake, pour in bottle and serve warm...
    I have a feeding schedule somewhere. We get ours down to am's and pm's and they do fine.

For the scours we put one fourth a tablet of an Imodium chewable tablet crushed in his milk, he is pygmy sized, so for goats larger like boers half a tablet would be best.

Good Luck, I will be praying for you little babies, good luck, bye.

www.gonzalesshowstock.com

3. Shazza

Shazza Well-Known Member Supporter

Why arent you feeding him milk from his mother...he will need the colostrum. Milk the doe .

4. Farmboy

He had some colostrum yesterday and today a little mixed in with his Save-A-Kid replacer. We have him inside near the wood stove on a blanket.

5. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

On another board, they totally believe in feeding regular, whole cow's milk. I tried it and it worked better then the replacer. I added a little Probiotics and a drop of corn syrup in the milk. After she was older, I switched to replacer.

6. Shazza

Shazza Well-Known Member Supporter

Please explain to me why people are advising to use replacment milk when the mother has not died and could easily be milked the small amount needed to get the kid on his feet?
    God did not make the best milk in the universe for people NOT to use....goats milk raises any animal better than anything else.

7. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

I agree with Shazza. Give him milk from his mama. If for some reason you can't do that, any other kind of goat milk would be next best. Then whole cows milk from the grocery store.

8. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

well if he wasn't expecting to bottle feed he probably didn't try to acclimate the doe to being milked. Its not easy to milk a doe enough to feed kids if she is unruly. Heck, if you're not good at milking it takes forever, and you get very little in the pail without mommy putting her foot in it or knocking it over.

9. Farmboy

We did try and milk her, but she won't give very much. (Stupid, considering she was a familys' milk goat and gave 1 gal. per day last year) But I don't know if it would help. He's almost gone. :(

10. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

Do you have any electrolytes? My friend had a kid in real bad shape and saved her by tubing her with electrolytes and Immodium.

11. witchysharon

witchysharon Well-Known Member

Never use Immodium AD! It can stop the digestive process and can often cause death in goats

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=immodium+A+D+goats&btnG=Google+Search

Some people have used Immodium, but I have been cautioned by several vets not to use it. And i sure wouldn't use it on a newborn.

Give him plain yogurt (get the kind that says "Live" or "Active" cultures on the carton, most do, but make sure. Or if you have some probios or any probiotics get it into this baby. The good bacteria (live cultures) will help his rumen an early start in functioning properly. ( he can't overdose on yogurt or probiotics so you need not worry he is getting 'too' much.

Definitely milk the doe and use her milk. It is the best thng for him. Milk replacers and (even whole cows milk) can be the cause of diarrhea!

12. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

13. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

I've heard that, too about Ammodium - that it stops the rumen. Threfore, I questioned my friend, who is a very experienced goat breeder when she was dosing a kid with it. Her explanation was, that in babies, the rumen has not developed yet and the Ammodium will work in them much the same as it does in us. She had tried other treatment and it didn't work. She was desperate to save the kid and felt she didn't have much to lose since it looked like the kid was on her way out anyway. The baby survived and was named Clover. Clover is now an adorable and playful young Alpine. It seems this medication is safer to give a new baby. I would not give it to an older goat with a developed rumen.

14. Goat Freak

FarmBoy, how is the baby? I hope and pray that the little guy is doing well. Good Luck, I will be praying for him, and for you. See Ya, bye.

15. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

Shazza, I had the same situation once with a weak triplet. She was so much smaller then the other two that she looked premature (I thought I read once that a goat could get pregnant a second time later but I'm not sure)

The Mom didn't have enough milk after the other two were done. In order to get some colostrum in her, I had to lock the babies up for a few hours in order to let the triplet nurse but she was too weak to do so...she couldn't even stand for the first two days. And Mom wouldn't let me milk her. (I have meat, not dairy goats) I was able to keep her alive with tubing of cows milk Probiotics and a little corn syrup. I really didn't think she would make it but she grew up to be a strong, healthy brat and will have her first kid this year.

I think most of us were reading that it was a triplet and realize that is harder then a single kid. That was why I suggested the cows milk anyway.

16. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Well-Known Member Supporter

I have heard of people giving warmed black coffee also to jump start a kid. A baby goat is single stomached untill they start eating solid foods.Then thay rumen forms.

17. Farmboy

The buckling died not long after I started this thread. He was just to far gone. Thanks for the help, though. We think it was the chilling that killed him, since he was the first born and layed out for about 20 min.

The next doeling to be born is still struggling. She isn't chilled, but seems to be in some sort of pain and is acting very tired and crying out with picked up a certain way. Perhaps gas? We've taken her away from the doe and are giving her mama's milk with a syringe. Has any one had this kind of thing happen before? Please Help!

P.S. (Goat Freak, we appreciate your prayers. Thank You)

18. Farmboy

I forgot to ask; Is the electrolites/Probios for treating scours or weakness?
    Perhaps this would help the doeling?

19. waygr00vy

waygr00vy Sunny Daze Farm

Check out this link: http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles/newborns.html

It sounds like this may be your problem. It says not to feed milk replacer if kids are too weak but get them "jump started" with a mixture of water and karo syrup. Anyway...check out the link and see if it sounds like what is wrong with your kids..it may help. Good luck!

20. Goat Freak

I am SO sorry that the little boy was lost, I will continue to pray for the little girl, you said that there is triplets, what is the other one, a boy or a girl? Good Luck with them, I will continue to pray for you, and for the little ones of course, good luck. Bye.