Emergency feeder needed

Discussion in 'Beekeeping' started by Lois, May 16, 2006.

1. Lois

Lois Active Member

I just got a nuc last night and was told, to my surprise, that I need to feed the bees but I don't have a feeder. Does anyone have a suggestion for an emergency feeder that I can use for a couple days till the one arrives that I just ordered? Thanks in advance. Lois

2. alleyyooper

alleyyooper keeper of the bees Staff Member Supporter

If you have an extra deep or even shallow hive body put some 1/16 inch holes in a quart canning lid and screw it on to either a quart jar or pint. then tip it upside down over the intercover hole.

If the bees are still in the nuc just st a dish out with syrup near the hive, the girls will find it.
    Wisconsin: I would there is some blooms the girls would work like dandolions.

:D Al

3. Hee Haw

Hee Haw Well-Known Member

The one to one sugar sryup would be best as Al metioned. Slightly heat 1cup sugar and 1 cup water,just till it melts. take a very small nail and tap holes in the jar lid, pure syrup in jar turn up side down,place on top of inncover are on top of frames.
    Are you can sprinkle granulated,or powdered sugar,No brown sugar, on top of frames as a emerengency source of food.

4. Lois

Lois Active Member

Thanks for the ideas. I've already mixed some sugar and water so I'll try your way of feeding. My feeder should be here in a couple days so maybe this will get them by. I'm just wondering if they are supplied with easy food, maybe they won't go out and forage for themselves. This is true of most animals but I don't know if it's true for bees too.

5. Ol'Reb

Ol'Reb aka Mr T-Bone

this also works in an emergency- Take a quart size ziplock bag and put your sugar water in it (not too full), lay it on top of your frames flat... now, take a razor and cut a few slits in the bag on the side facing the top of the hive, the bees will line up along the slits like cows on a trough....

6. alleyyooper

alleyyooper keeper of the bees Staff Member Supporter

Wisconsin??? Where did I get that. Of course Old Reb is right. Why don't you want them to forage for them selves? That is why some people get bees is for the pollination. Should be plenty where your at for bees. I'm way north (So far north we may get snow yet.) of you and our bees are getting lots of forage between the rain showers.

:D Al

7. Hee Haw

Lois, food are no food they will forage,thats their nature,unless you have their intrance blocked,and you dont wont to do that. They should stay their and be ok as long as your feeding them the 1to1 sugar.After the necture flow gets strong in your area,you will notice they will stop taking the sugar water, for tree and flower necture,they like it better than anything else we could give them.I think if they were going to leave,they would have already, by this time.

8. Lois

Lois Active Member

That makes sense about them liking nectar better than sugar water. Thanks for the advice. I'll try the plastic bag. They don't seem to be eating much of the sugar water from the jar I put upside down over the the hole in the inner cover. So far, in 2 days, they've eaten a little less than a pint. It's warmer here today (77) so they are more active. I have clover blooming nearby and although I don't see any bees on it, maybe they are foraging more than I think. My feeder should come tomorrow so if they stay till then, I should be ok. They are so interesting, and and I'm surprised at how docile they are. I think I'm destined to become a beekeeper! Thanks everyone for your help. Lois

9. Hee Haw

Hi Lois,
    A little less than a pint in just 2 days is a lot, and about right,that is good.You may wont to check out the books that others have suggested on a earlier post,the titles are listed. Ive found that the local library has some of them.But still fill free to ask questions,there has been lots of help right here for me just for the asking.Beesides whats better to talk about than the nature and wonder of honey bees.Sounds like your bees are off to a good start. You will want to think about getting ready to move them into a permanate hive and adding a supper in the future.Get ready,you may even have some honey to rob this fall.Thats when it realy gets good putting that sweet sticky stuff in a good hot homemade cathead biscitt.Everone will rave over your honey.