Emerald Ash Borer

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Peacock, Oct 13, 2006.

1. Peacock

Peacock writing some wrongs Supporter

I just spotted an article in our local weekly paper saying that bug had been sighted here -- less than 1/2 mile away from me. I am SO bummed. At least 1/2 our trees are ash.

I can now assume with some certainty that they'll all die within 3-5 years. How awful is that! At least we'll have firewood for the wood stove, though if we go camping someplace we can't take our own wood with us.

What's worse, I keep thinking about those ash trees disappearing. They are such lovely trees. When our kids grow up, they can tell their kids "I remember when we used to have ash trees." :(

I guess I'd better start thinking about what to plant in replacement so I can start them next spring.

2. bargarguy

bargarguy Well-Known Member

Sweetcountrygirl posted I think yersterday that some have been found in southern Medina county, they seem to spreading much faster than the state said they would,

3. Sher

Sher Well-Known Member

We can send a guy to the moon...but we CAN'T have a prevention for this? Makes no sense at all.

I just hate this...I am like you...most of our trees are ash..and I am ill thinking that we could lose them.

Thanks for posting this...hope someone has ideas on how to help our trees against these bugs.

4. lwj2

lwj2 Well-Known Member

5. lwj2

lwj2 Well-Known Member

Text deleted, double posted -- sorry 'bout that. lwj

6. sweetcountrygrl

sweetcountrygrl Well-Known Member

7. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

I read that just a few minutes ago (hey, what can I say, I just got up...). Things like this make me angry actually...

8. Selena

Selena proud to be pro-choice

I've been watching the ash trees at our current place, not sure how many at the new house. BUT I can say this - in the large town near me, an arborist gave the city a heads up when Dutch Elm was coming. It would have cost the city $10K for preventative measures. The city fathers had a cow and would not spend the money. Well when Dutch Elm did hit, it cost the city in excess of $150K to deal with the dead trees. The loss to the environment/landscape was much greater. So we can all take heart that at least with this disease, folks have woke up and are trying to limit the damage this time around.

9. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Well-Known Member Supporter

We've got them in our state. I have total faith that our DNR will ensure it's spread state wide.

10. Peacock

Peacock writing some wrongs Supporter

Ooookay...according to the link lwj sent, if I support Bayer and dump their chemicals around the base of my trees once a year, I can save their lives. I'm not on well water, so that's less of a consideration. The PDF sheet worked it out financially too, so that a tree with a basketball-size trunk costs $19 a year. That's still less than the tree guy charges to take them down (we could do it for less, sure, but we don't know what the heck we're doing), though it could really add up if we have to treat, say, 25 trees. I haven't counted them. We have about 80 trees but they're not all ash.