Emerald Ash borer problems there??

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by cc-rider, Apr 13, 2005.

1. cc-rider

cc-rider Baroness of TisaWee Farm Supporter

Wow.... they are cutting down entire woods around here!!!! They found one in Hancock County, Ohio now. Sheesh. The law states that they have to cut down every single ash tree within 1/2 mile from an infected tree. Such a waste! They cut down 30,000 trees a couple miles from here.

Seems like there could be a better solution! You have no say in it. One day you could have a nice woods, the next day they come in and demolish it. :(

So sad.

2. vicki in NW OH

vicki in NW OH Well-Known Member

They found one in Hancock! Where is it? We are close to the Hancock/Seneca line. Ash is our preferred firewood on 0 degree nights. I wonder if there will be any ash trees left?

3. cc-rider

cc-rider Baroness of TisaWee Farm Supporter

Close to the Hancock/Wood County border, I believe. I can't believe how much devastation they are causing just trying to contain this bug. One bug -- and they cut down 30,000 trees!!!!! :no:

I'm in Findlay....so that's only about 6 or 7 miles from here. They were found near North Baltimore.

4. diane

diane Well-Known Member

They are just wasting tax payer's money and invading people's woods. What a hype!!! They have admitted here that they are not going to stop it, but are just hoping to slow it down. In the meantime they have gone into people's basements and emptied the wood from it and burned it in a big pile if you even have ash in your woodpile. :soap: :bash: :bash:

5. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Ok, who is "they" and do you really think it's hype? What would be "their" motive for wasting all this tax payer money? Did you ever think that perhaps every day it's slowed down, might be one day closer to finding a way to stop it?

6. mzzlisa

mzzlisa Well-Known Member

It isn't hype. It showed up in Michigan in 2002, made its way to Ohio, and now its in the northwest part of Indiana. "They" (the government) are trying to keep it from spreading any further than it already has. The Ash Borer has the capability of completely destroying every ash tree in the Midwest and its a huge problem. If you want to learn more about why the DNR is cutting down trees, here is the Indiana link:

www.invasivespecies.in.gov

7. diane

diane Well-Known Member

Perhaps "hype" was a poor choice of words. My use of it was intended to mean that they were "hyping" us that they could control it. If you could see some of the outright injustices that are taking place in Michigan, you might have an understanding of why I am so cynical about the whole thing. You may believe whatever you want to believe about it.

8. mzzlisa

mzzlisa Well-Known Member

Oh I know, its hideous!! The unfortunate thing is that either way, the ash trees are going to die whether its cutting them down, or the ash borer itself. It has already killed millions of trees.
    The main cause of the spread are infected nursery trees and cutting infested firewood, then transporting it out of the forest into uninfested regions. Indiana is doing battle with it right now since it spread from Michigan. Its going to be very hard to stop and believe me, I hate what they're doing too! If they can get it stopped, the DNR will replant.
    Have you seen one of these bugs? They're really quite pretty! Too bad they are a bad bug!