Emdr

Discussion in 'Home Defense/Guns' started by The Colonies, Sep 18, 2006.

1. The Colonies

The Colonies Well-Known Member

EMDR--Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR)1 integrates elements of many effective psychotherapies in structured protocols that are designed to maximize treatment effects. These include psychodynamic, cognitive behavioral, interpersonal, experiential, and body-centered therapies2. EMDR is an information processing therapy and uses an eight phase approach.

During EMDR1 the client attends to past and present experiences in brief sequential doses while simultaneously focusing on an external stimulus. Then the client is instructed to let new material become the focus of the next set of dual attention. This sequence of dual attention and personal association is repeated many times in the session.

There are Eight Phases of Treatment.....read more at http://www.emdr.com/briefdes.htm

I was told by a medical doctor to try and have this done by a psychiatrist or psychologist. I had never heard of it of before until this medical doctor who went through EMDR for his own "demons" and highly recommended the procedure.

EMDR is not voodoo, psyhic bull, etc. There is nothing to hook to, nothing external is connected to you. The therapist uses his fingers or long stick passing it in front of your eyes and in theory it conjures up thoughts within the brain and then you discuss what you thought, felt, etc. and then it continues. It depends on how severe a case is with an individual. Mine was bad in that after doing EMDR, I would be wiped out emotionally and be real fatigued for about 1 week and a half. As time went by, some weeks, that time got cut down to a few days to a day or two of feeling very tired, emotionally wiped out, etc. I know that I had horrible nightmares and these are gone. Like I said, military veterans were the ones that the real studies were based on them and how many came out from under the stress and nightmares of war, etc. I cried a lot during the sessions, I was to note how I felt, for example, I would hurt a lot in my upper chest area (not around the heart but way up in the upper chest area) and you note what your thoughts are as the psychologist is moving his fingers (or long stick) in front of your eyes back and forth (they never touch you and it is non threatening, trust me!). Sometimes I would feel pain on parts of my body relating to the trauma I experienced as a child which was totally weird but the pain would subside as I was talking about it and it being purged out of my system so to speak.

I am not a know it all about EMDR but I have been through some horrific stuff in my life and I am very thankful a medical doctor had the balls to recommend I seek help through this means of relief. I am told that if it does not help a person, it does not hurt them at all to try it. I know the psychologist I was seeing told me he had a Vietnam Veteran he was treating and that many times he believed he was in the jungles again, could feel the oppressive humid heat, the noise, etc. so beware that whatever is in your brain and it never forgets, will come out so be honest with the therapist and believe me they have heard it all and probably seen it all. My psychologist treats children of sexual and other abuses and treats adults. So find someone who has been trained in this technique and part of their therapy is helping you get well (the other part is up to you to get well) so don't stick with someone who just looks at you with a $$$$.

I hope this helps. Again please check out the website and see if there are any psychologists or psychiatrists who are in your area to treat you with EMDR. It was the best thing that happened to me to purge those horrid memories from my brain.

2. The Colonies

The Colonies Well-Known Member

Walk (without distraction if possible) on a trail or wherever you can. As you walk, think of a complex problem or situation. As you are walking, roll your eyes to the left and then to the right and back to the left and then the right as you are thinking of this situation. Keep doing it during the walk as you keep thinking of the problem. I know it will seem weird moving the eyes like that but that is what EMDR is like. After you walk about 20-30 minutes, stop what you are thinking and see if you do not seem a little settled, maybe you feel like you have some ideas that popped in your head about the situation. Note what you are feeling since rolling your eyes to the left and right. Try it. This is what EMDR is like somewhat but the trained therapist asks questions and draws you out so that you can purge past trauma out of your brain and get better.

I remember one trauma was so bad that I felt really exhausted after an EMDR session, and the psychologist told me to put the thought in a box, take a key and lock it and hide the key out of sight. I was to physically imagine a box and key, etc. It is really hard when you have been diagnosed with PTSD (as I have been) and dealing with more stress during therapy but the therapist should time it right that a person can handle it as time goes on. Again, a medical doctor recommended this treatment to help me. Not only did I have two trauma's hit me when I was young but when I was an adult, another trauma hit me. After EMDR, I am much calmer now and feel like I am in control rather than PTSD controlling me.

I hope if one pursues this avenue of treatment that it is helpful. EMDR is catered to the individual.