email addy's for elected officials, etc.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by marvella, Jan 5, 2005.

1. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

i am in the midst of writing a letter to the state road commissioner, and preparing a press release to go with it. i plan on cc'ing it to as many places as i can, including his boss (the governor) and all the big newspapers in the state. has anyone ever done this before? does anyone know where i can easily find those email addy's and the ones for the papers as well?

i know this isn't a homestead topic (unless saving farmland and wilderness areas counts, then it is homestead related. :haha: ) didn't want it to get lost in the GC mishmash either, so i put it here. there are plenty of smart people on here, and i thought surely someone can tell me an easier way to do this than spending hours online tracking it all down.

any and all help is greatly appreciated.

2. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

Where I live most generally elected officials have their information in the telephone directory. Most phone book publishers include this as a courtesy.

Short of the phone book in the special section, I would contact the reference department of a good library to get the information.

3. Madame

Madame Well-Known Member Supporter

Try going to the state website. I don't know if they'll have county officials, but they'll have the governor, senators, congressmen, legislators, representatives, and such.

4. jack_c-ville

jack_c-ville Well-Known Member

I worked for a newspaper some years ago. I have also done state-level lobbying, worked for political campaigns at a senior level and have written press releases. When an individual sends out a press release on behalf only of him/herself which basically just constitutes a complaint (just guessing at the situation here), it tends to be recieved as a little bit loopy and makes it even harder to accomplish whatever it is that you have in mind. Because then they can dismiss you as a crackpot, no matter how right you are.

Whatever your beef is, you might have better luck in finding an individual reporter for a medium-sized paper to write a story about it. Maybe someone with a daily column - those guys are usually desperate for material. And/or call your state representative and ask that person to help you.

I absolutely guarantee that whatever email address that you find for the Governor of Tennessee will not actually go to him. Governors get bombarded with stuff and everything goes through staff, unless you cultivate some special relationships with the right people (which is entirely possible to do even if you aren't rich or famous. Democracy on a state level is a lot more democratic than most people think). The letter will go straight to the garbage or maybe get a personal response from a staffer at best. But if you get something in the newspaper, then it becomes 'important' and will be clipped out by the Governor's staff and brought to his attention if he didn't see it himself first.

Most papers have their fax number or email address for press releases buried on their website somewhere. If not, you can just pick up the phone and call the front desk to ask where to send them. Generally speaking they *want* news and have no qualms about giving this information out.

Good luck!

-Jack

5. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

thank you jack. and everyone else.:)

this governmental agency is well aware that i am not a crack pot with an agenda. at least not to where it shows. LOL!! there is a sizable group of us, and i have been in regular monthly meetings with upper level tdot officials for over a year. however, there are some issues, that we brought up, that have been ignored. i was advised that the way to make cockroaches scatter is to shine a light on them, and the reason these issues were ignored (this all from a tdot official) is because we were being too polite. the old squeaky wheel gets the grease syndrome. so, up until this point i have been a nice quiet citizen. i just figured it was time to get their serious attention. and seeing as there is no real point in doing stuff half-a##ed, i thought i'd just send it to everyone i can get an address for.

it was mentioned in a thread some time back about our new governor, phil bredesen, and some of the innovative and popular things he has done. this is part of that. he is really listening to environmental and citizens groups. a neighboring group got 150% of what they asked for. our county has been left out in the cold, and we just want to make sure we get the same consideration.

i knew someone would have an answer here.:) thanks!!