eltc.problens in mobile home

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by paulaswolfpack, Sep 4, 2006.

1. paulaswolfpack

paulaswolfpack Well-Known Member

:help: Hi dont know if you can help or not my dh just called me he lives next door says half the power out in his house I told him he might think I was woderwoman but not for this okay went to unplug a fan sparks came out of outlet than the power blow went to box reset,the power is still not in several outlets went to box again reset, still no power to several outlets, what could be wrong? :Bawling:

2. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

If there is a "ground fault" outlet on the circuit, there is a reset button on the outlet too. They are usually in kitchens and bathrooms.

3. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Your (d)ear (h)usband lives in the house next to you????

Either you have found the secret to happiness, or I have found your problem. I'm not sure which......

--->Paul

4. busybee870

busybee870 Well-Known Member

I Cant Help With The Electricity, But Sounds Like A Perfect Marriage Set Up To Me. You Go Girl!!

5. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

sounds to me like a wire came loose in the outlet. be sure that breaker is off before you check it...or of course seek professional advice.

6. tiogacounty

tiogacounty Well-Known Member

As an electrician I've got one solid piece of advice. The DH can guess at the problem. You can go on-line and hope somebody can take a wild guess based on very limited info. The result may be that you end up with a mobile home that burned to the ground, or as a worst case not only a serious fire, but a funeral to attend. Electricity isn't a problem like plumbing, a roof leak, or a door that doesn't close right. It is something that can easily kill you if you don't know what you are doing, and burn a mobile home to the ground in the blink of an eye. Stop guessing and call a professional. I have done some electrical work in mobile homes, and to put it charitably, they don't leave the factory with the finest of wiring, and it only gets worse as time goes by. If this is an older unit, you really are taking a chance by not getting professional help. They tend to have everything from aluminum wire, garbage grade switches, outlets and panels to poorly done, loose connections everywhere. Good luck.

7. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

I think that your electricity issue is the least of your problems.

8. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

We're all just guessing at a serious problem. Is this a doublewide mobile home? Is the power out in 1/2 of the doublewide? Obviously they are shipped in 2 parts and then assembled on site. I am guessing the first place to look is where the power joins for the 2 halves.

9. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

I had that happen a couple of different times. The last time a friend from HT found that it was a bad relay switch underneath the house. It was located near the fuse box. Hope this helps, but if ya'll aren't as handy as AndyN-poetry unintentional, then maybe you should consult an electrician.

Also a lot of mobile homes have stick wiring on the outlets and they come loose. You can try turning off your power and tracing back along each outlet to see if that is where the problem occurred. I've done this. Now I just wish there was an easy way to get the outlet covers back on the way they were originally!

hollym

10. dixiedoodle

dixiedoodle Well-Known Member

Get someone in there that knows what they are doing. The first winter,after we bought our trailor I kept smelling some odd smell. I just thought it was the NEW,smell. Just when we turned on the furnace. Well it went on for a few weeks. I woke up one morning at 3:00Am.That terrible smell, I thought. I opened my eyes!! I saw a BIG YELLOW BALL in the hall. My furnace was on fire.Pulled main plug! It was still burning. It burned all the wires in the motor,the wall was scorching hot. I went down to mil and stayed till daybreak.. Man came 2-weeks later. Said shifting of trailor when moved had taken coating off wires.Said we could have been burned to death if hadn,t caught it in time!DON<T JUST GUESS!!! GET HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. farminghandyman

farminghandyman Well-Known Member Supporter

if it is an older unit that plugs into a pole or plug on a post there is probably a breaker or fuse in the box by the plug and one of the fuses may have blown as well, (happened on my sons trailer).

but have that out let checked out for your safety