Ellie Moo and Lizzy at play!!!

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by needstoknowmore, Dec 7, 2006.

1. needstoknowmore

needstoknowmore Rattlin Rock Ranch

I finally got something on camera. I was in the house and saw them going at it. I grabbed the camera and ran. I started taking pics as soon as I was close. Once they heard me they stopped. So I moved closer. And they finally went back to it. I took pics until the camera was full. They where head butting. Once I got back in the house they went to running and bucking. Someday I will get in on camera!!!
    [​IMG]

2. Jennifer L.

Jennifer L. Well-Known Member Supporter

Animals delight in stopping what they are doing when the camera comes out. :) Kind of a cute photo, anyway, though, them butting heads. :)

Sure is flat where you are. Is that the same 360 degrees around or is it hillier in another direction?

Jennifer

3. needstoknowmore

It is very flat here. This is our closest hill! To the left of the pic, on a very clear day you can see the tips of mountains. I took this a few weeks back of the morning moon.

[​IMG]

4. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Cool.

BooBoo :gromit:

5. lgslgs

lgslgs Well-Known Member

They sure look cute!

My husband and I were tallking about Ellie Moo and Lizzy the other day and wondering if you have considered working the two of them in a yoke? That would give them both another way to pull their weight as a pet cows and could be quite handy to have around the farm.

We don't work our Connie very hard but it's nice to have the skills in place for when we need pulling power on steep or muddy terrain. It's also a good form of mental stimulation for her and a good owner/cow relationship building activity.

Lynda

6. Christina R.

Christina R. Well-Known Member

Gosh, it seems like forever ago that we all met Ellie Moo via the forum. Does she have any side effects from the original problem (when you were making splints). It sure sounds like she doesn't with all the playing. It is always so heartening to learn about a critter that the owner is just trying to bring along through whatever is up and then get to see the final (joyous) results. Ellie Moo is definitely one of those rejoicing cases!!!

7. needstoknowmore

I think their job is just going to be being cows and keeping me entertained!! :) I think I would worry to much about Ellie if I tried to train her for working. The only sign she has of the splints is some white hair. Once I took the splints off some of the hair sloughed off and grew back in white. The joint that had the septic arthritis works normally, no stiffness. When people look at them they don't seem to see anything wrong with Ellie. That is unless they see her run into the fence. She has adjusted very well to their new pen. It is her heart I would worry about with doing work. Both girls need to see the vet sometime in the next couple of months and I will have him check her then. The last time he saw her, that was the only thing he was still concerned about. They will have a big job this coming summer if I can figure out some moveable fence for them. We do have one pasture that is irrigated. It is large and only fenced with electric. So if I can figure out something that I can move around to fresh grass, they will have a job of eating!!!!! And that is something they are both very good at!!! :)

8. needstoknowmore

And all the hard work and tears that we went through to get her this far has been well worth it. To be able to look out and see her just doing what a calf would do makes it all worth it. It has helped that she has had so many people rooting for her. :angel:

Thank you!!!!