Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know elkhound is famous for his big game hunts using
great skill and some interesting methods....crossbow....
muzzleloader and such .

I followed the tell tale trail being used by black bear today.
From the barn he's been interested in carrying off partial
bags of feed. So, I'm going to bait him close to where I want
to make the kill...... Near the barn, of course, making it
closer for hanging.
I followed the well packed trail he picked down in the field
leading to scrub, then bush ( forest).
Found his scat (had feed grains in it; no surprise there )
AND the final evidence I needed to know the bear is there...
an empty torn apart feed bag over 500 yards in. The critter
dragged it far to take his time emptying it. Darn thing !

So, question is about eating bear meat. This should be a good
agricultural zone bear, not a garbage dump bear because these
hang around eating farm feeds, berries and good things.
I tried bear before, it's good, but if I have a. 300 lb bear to
cut up got freezer, what's the best to do with it?.... Bear burger!
Roasts, etc . ??? I know about fat rendering talking to local
bear hunt guide about that. I'm more interested hearing from
anyone eating good bear meat.... The. 'How to' for cooking it
and Is good tasting worthy of the harvest.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
The best breakfast sausage I've ever eaten was bear sausage. I believe there is a trick to skinning the bear, kinda like lamb. Cool fast and don't let the hair touch the meat. At least that is how my family did things.

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
the best bears come from orchards,blueberry groves and ag zones for sure. i killed one once and it was on carion and it was so rank......pewwwww.

no fat...no fat...no fat.....i never liked bear fat and thought it stunk when cooked.

like echo said one of the best items i ever had was linked sausages that had crushed red peppers and some other spices i dont know and had beer added to it.

one thing i watched on bear was the trichinosis chance....always cooked fully and washed everything down extra good or kept in freezer 30 days to kill it before use .

i walked into my home in alaska to see roomate butchering a bear in kitchen and he looked through door way said look at the bear i got and had his bloody hand wrapped around a sandwich eating it...lol...i had to tell him about the tric worm...lol....later that day he was quizzing the local dr. about it....roflmao.

Reactions: TxMex and arcticow

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Stew meat, and can some. It gets more tender with age in the jar.

·
Joie de vivre!
2,847 Posts
Well, I'm no Elkhound, but...my advice is free and worth every penny, lol

Going by my experience and everything I have heard and read about freezing bear meat, it does not "keep" as long as most other meats. In the freezer, it seems to decline in excellency after 3-4 months or so. So if you have a LOT of it and there's not a LOT of ya'll to eat it all in that time frame, you may want to be more generous than usual in sharing the wealth with family and friends. TIP: wrap it well, to exclude all air from the package.

Also, everything you may have heard or read about icing down the meat ASAP is true. The only time I have found bear meat not delicious is when it was not cooled off immediately after harvesting. Get the hide off right away and cool the meat down as fast as possible. During hunting season, I like to keep a lot of frozen 16 oz. water bottles handy in the deep freeze, to supplement store-bought ice. The water bottles are easier to stash here and there in the freezer and come in so handy for rapid cooling down of game meats.

I love bear chili, bear gumbo, bear sausage, bear roast, and bear pot pie so much I can bear-ly stand it, lol.

If making sausage or ground meat, you may want to consider adding a small amount of quality bacon, ground in right with the bear meat, (but not in as great of quantity you would add to deer meat, because bear not as lean).

·
Registered
529 Posts
I shoot a bear every year as long as it is on the uphill side of the road, those things ain't got no handles like a deer. I really am not super excited about bear meat. Unless it is a 3 year old or younger female, I have the whole thing turned into pepperoni and cured sausage and salami. I killed one 21 years old once and it wasn't fit to bury.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Smoked bear meat is great. Sear it first in a skillet to seal in the jucies then put it in the smoker. Make sure you use a water pan and drape bacon over it cause the meat is usally has little fat. After you get the nice rosey color foil and take it to 190f to 200f internal tempature.:beer:

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Shoulders make great pot roasts... So maybe shoulders, hams and the rest sausage... Younger is definitely better, don't bother with the fat!

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Rendered bear grease is excellent for conditioning and waterproofing boots, leather, and other rain gear. Not as good as whale and seal fat, but those aren't available.

Baked bear paws, yum!

Reactions: Twp.Tom

·
Registered
205 Posts
If you have an ag bear eating grain, I would do everything I could to put that sucker in the freezer. I think it's somewhere around just less than 1/2 is what you will get in usable meat from a bear. Big bones, lots of fat and a heavy hide will make up the bulk of a bear.

Trim off ALL fat before freezing, it will go rancid in short order, and cooking. Cook slower and moister than you would normally. Trim off all the fat. Save it and render. Smoked and cured is great stuff. Bear is a big part of our diet. Like you said so long as it's not a garbage or fish bear. Try cure and making bear bacon, unable to describe how good that is.

Get the gut out quickly and the hide off as fast as you can for cooling. The gut is surprisingly small for the size of animal. If you hang it in the barn be ready for someone who may see it, to call the police. They do resemble a person when hanging. The local cop here has good idea what's going on this time of year and area of report. He does come out all business until he confirms though.

Don't forget about trichinosis.

http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/trichinellosis/gen_info/faqs.html

Freezing is not a cure for that anymore either.

http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/trichinellosis/hunters.html

Go get it and let us know about the hunt and the goods after. A grain fed bear would be a dream.

Owl

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No problem about gutting , hanging, cooling etc. this is
Cool canada after all . Nights now below freezing. Killing
close to home ensuress quick skinning and such .
Elk, I know all about Trichinosis..... Microbiologist here remember?
Thanks all the same for warnings.
It's good to know the lasting qualities frozen . I didn't know
about that. Don't know about local sharing or 'scareing'.
Bear mostly not of interest to most around here . Those who
want it ( farmers usually ) go shoot their own . No
fear factor either . This is all rural area folks used to
game carcasses. Few miles down the road is game
processor doing dozens and dozens of various moose, deer ,
bear etc .

Keep those cooking ideas coming!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts