Elephants Ear Bulb question

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by homestead2, Apr 24, 2005.

1. homestead2

homestead2 Member

Which way is up?

One end appears to have had several things cut off or broken off. Might they be roots? or stalks?

The other end appears to have one main place in the center and some nodules around it. so, might that be the root?

These bulbs cost $10 each, so I sure would like to get the right end down? Any thoughts?
    homestead2

2. Mary in MO

Mary in MO Well-Known Member

The end that has a roundish thing in the center is the base of the bulb. If you look closely at it there are almost scale looking things that will have tiny projections - those are the leaves. I've gotten a couple I couldn't tell for the life of me which way was up so I planted them sideways (like a potatoe on a plate). They did fine like that too.
    Mary

3. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

4. GrannySue

GrannySue Active Member

You can also break these bulbs apart at the natural junctions to get more plants...

Are these Caladiums (several plants go by the name elephant ears)????

If they are Caladiums - you are paying WAY too much... Find someone in Florida and ask.

The season is near over so far as my in-laws tell me, but they get me bulbs every year. I send $20 down, and they send back probably 60 - 70 bulbs! The $20 covers sales tax and shipping, too. Most of these can be split, so I wind up with anywhere between 100 and 150 plants. The plants sell here in IL for $8 each in 4 - 6 inch pots.

Sue

5. homestead2

homestead2 Member

Granny sue,
    These are the regular Elephant's Ears, (giant, green leaves). I am familiar with the other Caladiums.

These bulbs are amazing - enormous. Probably weigh 5 pounds. I am still stalling about planting them because of the uncertainty about which end is up.

I will probably take the advice to plant them on their side to play it safe.
    homestead2