Electronic funds transfer problems

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by moopups, Dec 4, 2006.

1. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    My debit card was at the bottom end, very small amount left; I did the puter transfer to the card, went to shop. Bought gas, fine, it worked well. Went to the second place and made a small purchase attempt, card would not go through. It seems that the gasoline sellers (when you use the card at the pump), place a hold on the account, apparently they do not know how much fuel you are going to buy so they place a hold on a large sum of money until it registers that you buy a smaller portion of their antisipated charges.

This was my LAST fuel purchase at SHELL OIL.

2. tnhomestead

tnhomestead Well-Known Member

Used to be a 30 dollar hold, I never swipe my card till afterwards when I walk in and pay!

3. Explorer

Explorer Well-Known Member Supporter

That is a common practice, even with just plain credit cards. All motels do it and many others. Once you have finished the transaction, the hold should have been removed. I would check with your bank as they may one remove holds once a day.

4. NCGirl

NCGirl Well-Known Member

Yep, me and my cousin once went on a 18 day cross country trip and stayed at a different hotel each night. Seems that each hotel would hold up to $200 on the card for DAYS. Sames thing for gas stations but I think it was $50. I checked my balance at one point and called in as I was sure that someone was using my card, I mean I had about $1000 missing!! It was put slowly back on there but boy if you don't know about that it could be a real problem.

5. DenverGirlie

DenverGirlie Well-Known Member

Gas station treats your debit card like a credit card. If you didn't punch in your pin... it's going to automatically put a $50 hold" on your card.

There are several soultions....

Use card inside the store. Go into the station and giving them your debit card to hold while you pump gas, then go back in and ring it up at the full amount. If you swipe it at the pump it will hold $50. It can ring up like a debit or credit card inside and it will only "take" the amount of the actual charges.

Go inside and buy $XX.xx inside to be credited to pump #XX

Use as debit card at pump - enter your pin. If this option is not available at the pump then you have to go inside to use it.

Use cash - involves going inside as well.

6. arabian knight

arabian knight Miniature Horse lover Supporter

Yes that is very true and goes on all the time.
    Try renting a car once, and see how much "Is Put On Hold"??? Way over that amount~!

7. FiddleKat

FiddleKat Mother,Artist, Author Supporter

Do they pay interest on what they hold?
    Seems to me they should as they are holding your money. I certainly wouldn't like them to hold my money for several days, cause they want to.
    Maybe this is why I prefer to pay cash.

8. morrowsmowers

morrowsmowers Well-Known Member

Around here either the station immediately charges the actual amount I bought at the pump or the other thing I see is a $1.00 hold which is later replaced by the actual charge amount. I have never had a larger hold even when buying gas out of state. Someone mentioned renting a car -- I was told that if its a credit card they hold $300.00 and if a debit card the hold amount is $400.00. I guess that amount is in addition to the actual charges.

Ken in Glassboro, NJ :)

9. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

Shell [puts a $75 hold on for up to 72 hours. We've had this thread before.
    That's why I don't use Shell.