Electronet fencing redux

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by flannelberry, Dec 31, 2006.

1. flannelberry

flannelberry Pure mischief

So, we are looking for some kind of Electronet to keep our girls in (two Icelandics plus babies to be determined). They have a run but there's no real pasture in it - we have great grazing in other odd, out of the way places and want to be able to move them safely around the yard.

They're not going to be unsupervised in their portable fence - we'd be outside or at least near by.

Any brands/styles recommended to get or avoid?

2. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

3. Liese

Liese Namaste

A couple of points that I will throw out about the previous link and fence. 1. only 1 spike, the Kencove which I use has two in a U shape and this I think makes it stand up better to wind and wet soils. Second, or B; without stiff verticals this could be a "saggy" fence, the verticals are important no matter what height and I would think that sheep fencing would be 36" hi. Would suggest you look at Kencove's web site, Premier I have heard has now gone to the 2 prong stake as well but was more expensive with 1 a couple of years ago. Now on terrain that is varied you may still need some step -in posts but I think that with this fence listed that you'll need a step- in at every section. Just my opinion and your mileage may vary. I have Dorsets and Jacobs by the way and they are pastured with the Kencove sheep and goat netting, Parmak MAG 12 charger, 7D marine battery & 4' rebar as a ground. I have used this system with satisfaction for 2 years. It has been great as we put up permanent perimeter 5 strand fencing. I will still use the netting powered off the 5 wire for rotational paddocks. Liese, Piedmont region, NC

4. flannelberry

flannelberry Pure mischief

Thanks for that very useful information.