Electronet fencing a good idea??

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by prairiecomforts, Jun 9, 2006.

1. prairiecomforts

prairiecomforts Well-Known Member

I am considering purchasing some eletro net fencing for summer grazing and am wondering if anyone has used it and what their expericenes were. Also - how many rolls will I need for approximately 40 ewes? Any advise or suggestions would be appreicated!

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I tried it once and it worked slightly better than nothing on my ewes (but no electric seems to work) but regardless it was the most evil thing to roll up and try to unroll. I know it works for others but do take great care if you have to roll it back up to move it. Maybe there are better brands, mine was Electronet.

3. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

Lots of folks around here use them exclusively. I haven't yet but will buy some soon. I've read that the Premier company is good, so will be buying that brand.

4. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

I've got a friend who purchased one this year (not sure of the brand), and she loves it. She's moved it around a few times and says it's worked well for her sheep.

5. perridox

perridox Well-Known Member

If your sheep have horns, they may get tangled up in it. We've had a few near misses with ours. Opted for 3 strands of electric tape instead.

6. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

I love mine. My ewes never ever tried to escape from it. It's a PITA when you have to move it, mostly because you must mow the line where you want to put it. It's hard to judge the exact area to mow.

7. wendle

wendle Well-Known Member

This is the third season I have used electronet from premier. For places that are difficult to fence, like hills, hard ground, temporary grazing, it's great. I found that training the sheep on the fence first is important, and keeping a good charge. I used to use a solar charger, but it didn't seem to have enough power to keep them in. I go with an electric fence charger near the house and just hook up a deep cycle battery to the other charger (42B) out in the field.
    Careful to follow instructions on rolling and unrolling, actually you don't just roll it up but pick up by the posts sort of folding it on itself as you go. Then when it's all folded together you can roll it and tie. Be sure you have a good ground , deeper if the ground is dry. When you store it make sure it's bagged or hung up because mice can really do a number on it. I started out with 3 rolls when I had around 50 sheep, now I am up to 6 rolls and will probably pick up a few more this year. I rotational graze so I am moving fence every 2-6 days this time of year.
    Good luck with your net.

8. wendle

wendle Well-Known Member

A few more things about it, I am pretty sloppy about mowing, and have found that once the sheep have a healthy respect for it, and you keep up a good charge, I think they can hear the tick then if there's just grass, and not too terribly tall then I can put it right up. I've also driven over areas with the truck to lay it down. Make sure there aren't any areas that the sheep can put their head under like a low area or creek bed, they will figure that out.