Electricute dog?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Siryet, Jun 3, 2004.

1. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

Will an electric fence single strand wire hurt a large dog? Our Great Pyr keeps pulling the field fence down to get out of his acre, (Guess grass is always greener) and I am wanting to put up letric but don't wanna kill him.

2. We did that in our back yard to keep the two aussie pups in. They got very smart quickly and now the wire is still there unplugged and they never try to get out. It is the same kind used for cattle. It is about 10 inches from the ground running through PVC pipe so that is does not lay on the ground. The PVC is spaced about every 15 feet.

Good Luck! Susan

3. kabri

kabri Almst livin the good life

We did this to, our aussies were being teased by neighbor dogs running loose, one of ours got so mad he almost ruined his teeth by pulling on the fence wire. We ran a single strand of hot wire about 8 inches above the ground, right at nose level. Problem solved! They still get mad at perceived intruders, but no more pulling on the fence! It will hurt them, but not kill them!

4. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

After a week you will be able to turn it off.

mikell

5. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

My Malamute can only be contained with an electric fence...we let the battery die out the first year and have never had to replace it - he still thinks the wire is hot. But he digs every time he gets into a fence without one...

The dog will yelp - it's the learning curve in action: how many times must a dog touch the fence before he realizes IT BITES?!? In our case: 3. Then he went to glare at us on the porch...never touched it again, but he'll run up and down the fenceline, just barely away from it, barking like mad at the chickens who come right up to it and taunt him.

-Sarah

6. Tinker

Tinker Well-Known Member Supporter

We had an electric wire across our drive for the cows, and the dogs could easily run under it. One had a curly tail, and often got his tail zapped. They learn fast to respect the wire, hust like the cows and horses do. I have been zapped, ant it does hurt like the dickens, but no long term damage. Better to let him get zapped a few times and learn to stay in the yard, than to get shot by an irate neighbor, or killed on the road.

7. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

Thank you all for the information and I will finish the letric fence wire this weekend.
    Thanks again

8. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

nope if its properly installed, he will scream like yer hanking his leg off (maybe) but it doesnt hurt him any more than it hurts you.

I'm not as smart as a dog, i have walked into the same low hanging wire today 3 times, twice in the forehead and once on the bridge of my nose. Yes, I yelped like a wussie as i got knocked to the ground.

the wire hasnt moved yet... electric fences arent good for forgetfull people containment.

it will cure your pup of wonderlust.

it doesnt work on geese, I tried once and it myst be their fethers are an insulator because they squeezed right under it and never felt a thing.