Electricians

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by LisaT, Feb 11, 2005.

1. LisaT

LisaT Well-Known Member

I want to see if I can stir the pot here and see how good you guys are. I have already resolved this problem, however I found it to be a very interesting one. I had and electrician do some cord drops from the roof for some power to some assembly tables where I work. He had checked them with his "wiggy". The tables were moved into position and the device plugged in. I could read 106vac with my digital meter. Now keep in mind he made 4 drops off of 2 circuits. When the device was plugged in their was no power. I could read with my inductive test probe that there was power. Now for the funny part, when I checked the power on the other set of drops I read 208vac...Then it disappeared and I read 106vac. I noticed the operator had unplugged the table to move it to another location. I had the operator plug the table back in and I immediately saw 208vac on my meter, with the table plugged in and 106 vac with it unplugged. Like I said I have already solved this, but I thought it was an interesting problem. Great training to refresh ones brain.

Theront

2. Oregonsparkie

Oregonsparkie Well-Known Member

Not a whole lot information but my best guess is that the neutral was missing somewhere and one or more plugs have the hot wire where the neutral should inside the plug. You dont say which wires you used to measure the voltage. Between the hot and ground or hot and neutral. this information is helpful in determining whats going on. The 208vac you are reading is because your reading between the 2 hots of the 2 circuits.

3. LisaT

LisaT Well-Known Member

The voltage did not matter as to whether it was to neutral or to ground. The plugs at the cord drops are wired correctly.

4. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

one set of the plugs were wired in series giving 106 volts, when the machine was plugged in it bypassed the second plug and put the circuit in a parallel setup results in 208 volts

5. LisaT

LisaT Well-Known Member

What had happened was that the electricain had pulled a series network circuit in. He had attached the neutrals together in the boxes above the drops and run one neutral back tot he panel. He had failed to attach the neutral in the panel. However the neutral was laying against the side of the panel and was making enough contact so that our meters would see voltage, but could not conduct any current. That is why when we plugged in the table it could not work. The reason we saw 208vac on the other set of plugs with the table plugged inwas that the hot of one circuit could pass throught the motor on the table into the neutral wire and we could see both sides of the 208vac on the one set of plugs. By attaching the neutral in the panel we were able to solve the voltage problem and everything reads ok now and works fine.

6. Oregonsparkie

Oregonsparkie Well-Known Member

I knew a neutral was missing somewhere.

7. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

.....................Did agmantoo have a Sex Change or what happened??? This thread was started by Agmantoo so , how did LisaT get into the Mix??? ...fordy.. :confused:

8. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Fordy I was the first to veiw Lisa T's post and it was posted by Lisa T not agmantoo.

9. LisaT

LisaT Well-Known Member

Maybe I should clear this up. I am Theront, the dh of Lisat. Our sign in doesn't signify that. I do try and sign my name when online.

Theront

10. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

.............Sorry! , Guess I had a Brain fart ! Non Compes Mentis or whatever . And , I apologise to agmantoo :eek: :worship:for implying that you wear "Pink Jammies" :no: . fordy.. :)