Electrical wiring in a log cabin

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by wireman, Feb 22, 2004.

1. wireman

wireman New Member

I'm going to wire my first log cabin and wondered if any one had an easy way of cutting in electrical boxes.

2. Hoop

Hoop Well-Known Member

Very easy.

If you have a steady hand, a chain saw with a 20" bar cuts a nearly a perfect fit. Round tooth chain keeps the saw from jumping around. Oversize outlet boxes and switch boxes are available.....should you stray with the chainsaw. And there is always caulk.

3. Nope! When I was doing residential wiring we would drill and chisel out the box holes inside the logs and then install the box along with about 30' of 12/2 romex. Then everytime a log was placed on top it would have to be drilled out for the romex wire to thread through. This had to be done at every outside wall outlet.(plug-in's, light switches, outdoor plug-ins, outdoor lights) We always left it up to the contractor to make sure each romex wire was properly threaded through each log that was placed on top of the other logs, unless they wanted us to set around and wait for each log to be placed on.

4. Oregonsparkie

Oregonsparkie Well-Known Member

One other option - not sure how it would fit into your plans but you can mount the electrical box in the floor instead of a wall.

5. Laura

Laura Well-Known Member

In my log house, 110 outlets and propane lines were on the inside walls only. The 12 volt conduit ran through the inner walls, cabinets and attic to power lights. It was an off grid house so the electical code didn't demand 110 outlets on outside walls.

6. Case

Case Well-Known Member

Forget the chiseling and chainsawing and use surface-mount Wiremold.

Not bad looking and a LOT easier.

And if you ever need to get into the wiring you can do it without disassembling the cabin.

7. Amen on that Case. It can even be painted to match the logs. Of all the log houses I have wired I don't think any of them ever requested wiremold. It shore would have been a lot less of a headache.

8. wireman

wireman New Member

Thanks for the many replies, we started the cabin today 2/27/04, The builder and I spent most of the morning walking around scratching our heads trying to come up with something easier then a chisel and hammer, then we drove to a couple of hardware stores looking at different tools for ideas, we were told about a disc that goes on a disc grinder that looks like a chain saw blade but they didn't have one in stock that would have been perfect for channeling down the inside beams. I talked the builder into buying a heavy duty router with a 5/8"x2.5" bit, he made up a jig when we got back and cut out about 10 perfect holes in less then an hour that the boxes fit perfect. I drilled down into the basement with a 1"x18" auger bit and extension so the receptacle boxes on the 1st floor are complete, I drilled 1" holes through the 1st 3 logs to the basement for the switche boxes, I then handed the bit to the builder and said I'll be up monday, I hope when I get there he didn't miss any thing. As far as using wiremold I didn't get that option from the homeowner. As far as just using the interior walls, code requires a receptacle within 6' of any point along any wall over 2' for line voltage receptacles. One good thing about this log cabin is the interior is flat and finished so it looks like pine tounge and groove which makes the cover plates fit nicely. I'll keep you posted

Wireman