Electric wood splitter

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Rob30, Aug 16, 2006.

1. Rob30

Rob30 Well-Known Member Supporter

Any one use one?
    I usually split with a maul. However this year I haev an injury that prevents it. I have been thinking of an electric wood splitter. I cannot justify buying a gas powered unit.

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

You need to try an electric splitter prior to buying one. They are disappointing!

3. Hoop

Hoop Well-Known Member

I agree. I am splitting some wood right now that is very gnarly & twisted. The 6 horsepower Briggs with a dual stage hydraulic pump barely manages to muscle its way through many of the difficult pieces.
    Splitting by hand would be impossible, unless perhaps you're in prison doing 99 years and want some exercise. Then, after about 10 minutes you'd make the realization that you don't need to work out.

Splitting with an electric splitter would be a futile effort in twisted wood. They may work moderately ok with straight grained wood.

4. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Remember that most wood splitters of any count are 8hp or bigger.

110v outlet is overworked to give you 1.5 hp, and 220 rarely gets above 5hp electric motor.

To make up, they either have to be real slow, or real weak.

Test one before buying. See if what they do is acceptable to you.

--->Paul

5. NYSaanen

NYSaanen Well-Known Member

What about renting, is that a possibility? If you have all the wood in one spot cut to length and ready to go, you will save on the amount of time you need to rent.

6. hunter63

hunter63 Well-Known Member

Well guys, I have a cheapo from Harbor Freight, (was $249 at the time),works fine for what I use it for. Mostly oak and elm, some black walnut.
    D.R. sells one for about $600.

Had if for 3 years now and use it a lot.
    Small, fits in a "Little red wagon" , keeps it off the ground, easier on the back, easier to roll around, and stores in the shed, and about 1/4 the price.

Friend of mine has a 8.5 hp and it has a problem with the "twisty stuff" also and it was about $1300.
    Each to his own.

Your right about twisty stuff, no go, so I just use that stuff for "long burners".

7. Rob30

Rob30 Well-Known Member Supporter

I split mostly maple, birch and poplar. Would they be harder to split then oak, etc.
    I am not interested in using a splitter all the time. I actually enjoy plitting the wood. The problem is I con't swing the axe right now, and I need my wood plit. I figure a $300 splitter would be well worth it for casual use. If it works.