Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used any electric vehicle batteries as a battery bank for off grid solar or wind? I have access to a large number of batteries and am looking for advice on how to use them and which ones are preferred. Please let me know. (If anyone is looking for any EV batteries let me know and I may be able to get them)

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
EV Batteries are often "upcycled" for energy storage applications, nothing new here BUT there are caveats depending on which ones. Some are better than others and they ALL need testing & verification. Tesla, Volt & Nissan battery packs are quite common while those from Prius are not typically used because they are likely the worst of EV batteries. EV Batteries are NOT for the "beginner", there is a lot to understand and deal with including thermal management and such.

Some of the most common issues is Voltage Related as different chemistries have different voltages and energy curves, so the BMS' Inverter & Solar Charge controllers need to be able to support the voltages from the packs. Some equipment can be programmed to accommodate specifics while others cannot.

Most of us building Battery Packs for Energy Storage Systems are using LFP (LiFePo4) because it is the safest chemistry with the right voltage curves for solar equipment. With careful & cautious shopping, one can build an LFP Bank using new Grade-A cells for as much as it would cost to upcycle EV Batteries.

New Grade-A LFP:
24V/280AH/6.7kWh (8x 280AH cells to make one pack) 8 Pieces US$678.32 Ship to USA US$415.20 Total US$1,093.5
48V/280AH/13.4kWh (16x280AH cells) 16 Pieces US$1,356.64 Ship to USA US $822.20 Total US$2,178.84
Add a good BMS $150-$200 and a box and voila.
REF : https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Hot-Rechargeable-3-2V-280Ah-LiFePO4_62401469185.html?spm=a2700.icbuShop.0.0.764520d22qNJc8&bypass=true

1 - 2 of 2 Posts