electric trailer brakes

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by billyj, Nov 13, 2005.

1. billyj

billyj Well-Known Member

I bought a heavy duty tamdem axle trailer and all wires had been removed. I replace the tail lights...brake,tail,stop etc.. The wires on both axles were clipped and I have never rewired trailer brakes. Anyone with ideas on where to start. My truck is already set up with trailer brake controls so I just need info on axle brakes. A wiring diagram would be great if you can point me to one on the net.
    Thanks

2. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

.................Ok , each electro magnet on each wheel will have 2 wires....eithER ONE CAN BE POSITIVE OR NEGATIVE . I would suggest running a 12 ga. hot wire from the battery all the way back to the trailer that will reach Each set of brake wires . You must also Ground the vehicle to the trailer so you'll have a complete circuit . Strip Both wires on each wheel and attach a ground to one side then attach the 12vdc to the other wire . Note : to really diagnose the brakes functionality you should raise the trailer UP until ALL 4 wheels are OFF the ground so that they will spin freely , then you can spin each wheel and apply the 12vdc and SEE if the brakes will Stop the wheel from turning !!! IF not , then it's time to adjust the shoes thru that small hole at the 6 o'clock position on the plate with a brake tool . When you attach the 12vdc. you should beable to hear the electro magnet activite even IF the shoes don't stop the wheel from turning . Were it me I would pull all 4 hubs off and repack both inner\outer bearings and replace all 4 magnets just for safety reasons . And , I'd use an air hose to remove\blow out all that brake shoe material that will eventually compromise the mechanical functioning of the brakes . Plus , you can see IF you need to replace the shoes .
    ................You can also utilize that same 12vdc wire to connect UP all 4 wheels on the trailer to the hot wire coming from the brake control . fordy... :dance:

3. billyj

billyj Well-Known Member

Thanks fordy, sounds simple enough.

4. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Don't blow the brake dust with an air hose! The dust from the brakes is bad for your lungs. If anything just wash it off with a water hose and dispose of the wet dust.

5. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

.............Thanks Beeman , I hadn't thought about that at all :shrug: . fordy... :)

6. billyj

billyj Well-Known Member

That's okay fordy. I know better although I've been guilty of it before. Beeman, that's what's so great about this forum we learn from others as well. Thanks a bunch for the reminder. :goodjob:

7. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    While yes, either wire will accept either polarity, check to see if either wire has a trace line, either solid or dots, can also be splines - that indicated the wire is to be the positive one. The same application is standard through the entire industry where use of polarity is presented.

8. billyj

billyj Well-Known Member

couldn't tell, the wires were painted over so, I went with the assumption that either would accept both, as luck would have it they work fine. The good part is that the right side was tied into the left side so I only had to run wires down the left side and grounded the brakes to the truck ground. Hope that was right. The great think about the brake control is that I can apply more brake when needed. Thanks to all for your input.