Electric teakettle

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by countrygrrrl, Sep 9, 2004.

1. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Thanks to my coffee/tea habit, I have finally worn out my lovely Bodum electric tea kettle.

:waa:

I need a new one. I loved this Bodum and am tempted to get another, but want to see what other people like before making my final decision.

2. snoozy

snoozy Well-Known Member Supporter

We used electric teakettles in my teahouse. My favourite was the Kenwood, which is made in Hong Kong or Taiwan (I forget), but hard to find these days. Next Russell Hobbs makes good ones, then Cuisinart would be my least favourite. On all of these, we used them so much -- and we had a battery of 4 going most of the day -- that we would burn out the cords. Fortunately we had superduper fused electric outlets! I found that computer cords would fit (with some sculpting of the plug with a moto-tool), and I used to get computer cords at Boeing Surplus for a buck apiece.

I never liked the cordless type as well.

Maybe you can find a Kenwood on e-bay.

3. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Thanks, snoozy!

The Bodum appears to have come back to life, but (to be honest) I don't give it long. I'm surprised it's held up this long, given how much I use it.

So, I'll be on the lookout for a Kenwood. :)

4. onyxblue

onyxblue Member

We have a Rival 40-ounce Hot Shot Express. It heats water faster than a microwave. You can heat soup in it, although I wouldn't use it for tea water after that! I think we got it at Sears for less than $30. My husband thinks it might have been less than $20. It works really well.

Upton Tea recommends the Hobbs electric kettle, which holds up to 1.8 quarts, and they sell for a mere $109.90 ($115.40 with sales tax in Massachusetts).

5. frontiergal

frontiergal Well-Known Member

I love my bodum....Bought it 12 years ago and still going strong.... Countrygurl do you clean the kettle with white vinegar? I do every now and then and also use filtered water to keep minerals on the down side. I put a couple cups of vinegar and turn the kettle on then I let it set for an hour or so ...stinksssssssssssssss but cleans it real nice.Heidi

6. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

I love my Bodum, too, frontiergal!

I think cleaning it with white vinegar is an excellent idea. I'll put it on my chore list for tomorrow.

They're really cute little tea kettles, aren't they? :)