Electric Service Without House

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by dkwhite, May 19, 2006.

1. dkwhite

dkwhite Member

Does anyone know if a utility company will run service to a piece of property with no improvements? I own some land a few miles from where I live. All that I have out there is a metal storage building. I spend alot fo time out there and would like to have electric available. I plan to build on the land, but not until the kids are out of the house(13 years at least). I know I can call the utility company and get an answer. I was just looking for a little input from anyone else in this situation before I call them. For what it's worth there is a pole at the corner of my property. I would only need to come in another 500 feet or so tops.
    Thanks, dkwhite

2. TxCloverAngel

TxCloverAngel Happiness is Homemade

yep they will.
    provided they can get to the area you want the new pole easily.

when we bought our "tiny" postage stamp lake lot, we had a light pole.. nothing else.

then a few months later bought a beautiful new camper, set it on the lot... the next day a storm blew a pine tree and made it look like a taco! *sigh*But yes.... light pole is still there... once again.. all by itself :)

3. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes, here in NC.. We had one placed in the lower field, near the pond so when dh's uncles came to fish -they could bring their campers!! They love it..

4. dkwhite

dkwhite Member

Thanks, The side of the property the line would go across is open, so no problems there. A pole light would make me feel better about leaving some of my equipment out there. There have been countless times a outlet would have come in handy as well. I'll probably do most of the work on our house myself and I can't see a five mile drive to the house every time the battery goes dead in the cordless.

5. dkwhite

dkwhite Member

Queen Bee, You just about summed up the reason I'm ready to have electric. I just had my pond renovated and enlarged. As soon as I can get the fish growing I plan on spending ALOT more time out there.

6. Obser

Obser "Mobile Homesteaders"

It depends on the electric company or co-op policies and practices. In our case the answer was, "We will install transformer and up to 1200' of line at no charge ONLY IF there is evidence of intended occupancy, like a septic system installed or a foundation slab". To install "temporary" RV service would have incurred considerable cost.

Check with the company that provides service in the area.

7. Iddee

Iddee Well-Known Member

Here in NC we also have what is known as agriculture service. No need for a home to get it installed.

8. tiogacounty

tiogacounty Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, you many encounter issues with the local township or other governing body also. Our local government has implemented a series of steps to prevent anybody from occupying a property in anything but a house that they can regulate to death and heavily tax. One way they do this is to make the permit process into a series of steps, so it's septic, driveway, well, then building permits. so in my case, I doubt I would get very far. one way around it would be to ask the utility to provide a temporary service. This is done on occasion to provide power during construction.

9. Rowdy

Rowdy Well-Known Member

My co-op did it for me, but at first it took some talking to them. They wanted to be sure they would not lose the cost of build the line, only to have me disconnect at a later date. I assured them that I had lived in this travel trailer for two years in another place, and they did it for me for free.

Now, this is just my opinion: But I would not get a pole light in most cases. The light is horrible for anyone around that does not want it, it is more of a becon for thieves, showing them where people live. have stuff, etc.

I like having a good light sometimes, but I want to be able to control the light.

10. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

Yup, I have that. Needed it for my well. Maybe it came under "agricultural" cause I have a larger pump.

Make sure you place the pole in relation to your proposed house. Talk to the electric company about how far away from the proposed house it should be. You don't want to have them come out & set another pole.

11. Hammer4

Hammer4 Well-Known Member

Yep here in our coop electric in Missouri, I can get a pole stuck in a pasture with a meter for $300. They will put the pole, line, and meter socket up, then wait for me to wire my box into the meter socket, then come back and set the meter as long as the wiring is up to code.

12. clovis

clovis Well-Known Member

Yes, as others have noted. Around here, you would ask for a "T-pole" which stands for "temporary pole". (Some folks pronounce this as a "t-po", LOL.)

If you are thinking of building a home later on, you might think about underground service. Might be cheaper in the long run, especially if the house will be a long way from the current electric service.
    Clove

13. Randy Rooster

Randy Rooster Well-Known Member Supporter

The only way they will do that here is if you tell them it is for farm irrigation/water pumping. Otherwise you need to go through the county for a building permit. I know cause I tried to do it and wound up without power for a couple of years when I wanted it.

14. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

It reeally will depend on local utility company & local regulations, as others are pointing out.

Some utilities encourage any new business no matter how small; others want a minimum amount of power use & the probability that it will be used for decades to come, and these generally look for a dwelling permit before installing $$$$$ lines & poles & transformers.

Some county govts don't regulate much, while others want to have very structured building plans & use building codes to weed out 'issues'. Issues can be a remote drug setup, lots of sherriff calls for vandalism to a remote unoccupied location, unsavory renters in super-cheap remote housing, etc.

Both sides of the issue make sense in different situations.

You need to check with your local power co & find out what is done in your county. No one can help you with your local conditions.

I too do not understand a 'security light' at an unoccupied remote location - only give the vandals/ theives a better view of what they are seeing. Doesn't help increase your 'security' at all. This only works in a busy location very close to a road where many people can watch what is going on; or when you live on the property - then it makes the bad people nervious that they will be seen.

Of course, I can see the need for electricity when you are there - I'd want that too. :)

Hope it works out in your location.

--->Paul

15. dkwhite

dkwhite Member

I disagree. It could help security under the right circumstances.
    My property is on a hilltop at the far end of a 3/4 mile dead end road. I have good neighbors. They can all see my metal building during the day. If the area was lit up at night they could see if anyone was in there then too. I have no use at all for a dusk to dawn light at my residence. That's what switches are for. As an added bonus, a thug under a light makes a better target than a thug in the dark(just a statement-I don't need to hear all the legal issues involved).

Thanks to everyone for their opinions. I'm getting ready to call the utility company. I'll post back what their response was.

16. dkwhite

dkwhite Member

Good news for me. I just got off the phone with the utility company. Won't be a problem to hook me up for "agricultural use". They will go in 600' from the nearest line, set a pole and meter for $180. Then they will give me a $15 credit per month on my bill. After a year I'm back to $0. I'm going to go ahead and have it ran.
    Thanks to everyone, dkwhite