Electric Golf Cart

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Oscar, Oct 11, 2005.

1. Oscar

Oscar Well-Known Member

I think that we have been had. My husband bought an electric golf cart AS IS a few months ago and it has no pick-up-and-go at ALL and slows to a dead crawl when going up very slight grades. We took it to a golf cart guy here in Ohio and he told us parts have been taken out of it and there weren't enough "resistors". I don't know diddly about golf carts but he did tell me it would cost about $700 to fix, or we could put $800-$1400 down towards a trade in for a used gas cart. I asked him to buy it from us and he offered $100. We bought it for much more. Arg! Can anyone tell me what to do now? Should I put more money into this cart that I didn't want or should I just try to sell it off and take a huge loss on it. HELP!!

2. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

Are the batteries good? That's the first thing I would check. Then, find someone with electrical savvy and check the resisters in the controller and see if they are actually bad. Try running it by bypassing the bad one(s) to see if everything else is okay. Don't try this if you don't know what you are doing, get a friend who understands it.

Did it work before you bought it?

3. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Its been 35 years since I worked on golf carts, maybe they are made different today. The problem's fix back then was a defect in the foot/speed control. Look inside and see if there is mounting holes where the parts were supposed to be taken out, that sounds suspicous to me. No mounting holes equals no missing parts.

4. Oscar

Oscar Well-Known Member

I have asked my husband but neither of us is cart savvy. I will try to track down a friend who is. Also, yes, the cart worked well when he test drove it at the man's property, but this man had VERY flat property and the cart goes very well on flat land pr doward slopes. The only other golf cart place around charges $65 just to look at it. And if it takes two hours to look at, it costs $130. What a ride!

5. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

Take your questions here these guys are great. If you sell it for 100$ he will make another 400$ by reselling it. Google wiring diagram for your cart brand. For 700$ you can have all new batteries and a controller that is better than resistors.

http://server1.buggiesunlimited.com/phpBB2/

mikell

6. Ed Norman

Ed Norman Well-Known Member

We got a freebie from the dump a while back. I got lots of good help on this forum. If Mitch had worked on carts 35 years ago, that was about when this one got it's first tune up. I went to the buggies unlimited forum, they were zero help. When one expert finally replied, he said junk it and buy a better one. Where there's a will, there's a won't. The wiring diagrams you can find online are very helpful, too. Our drive sprocket was stripped bare of teeth. I found new OEM parts, the chain and two sprockets totalled over $300. I went to the local farm store and got two weld on sprockets and some roller chain for $18 total and welded them onto the old sprockets. Dumped in trolling motor batteries and it has had daily use for a month now. We love it. We seldom walk anywhere, even to the pig pens. Lazy or just efficient?