electric fencing

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by furholler, Mar 10, 2005.

1. furholler

furholler Cedar Cove Farm Supporter

Will electric fence change my electric bill much? I am not impressed with what people say about solar fencers and am leaning toward a plug in type. :confused:

2. DwnByTheCreek

DwnByTheCreek Mom of 2 boys(5 & 3)

I have electric fence around 4 pastures that probably equall to 1-1.5 acres and do not really notice any big increase in eletric bill...

JoAnn
    :)

3. NWSneaky

NWSneaky Well-Known Member

It costs very, very little. The charger provides high voltage with very low amperage thus little wattage consumed.

4. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

Are there any legalities to using them? What if someone wants to climb your fence and gets shocked...can they sue you, even if you have it posted that it's electrified?

5. DwnByTheCreek

I have never herd of such a thing... really a electric fence runs in pulses, so you get a shock but it wou't seriuosly hurt you... your arm will ache for a while but that is about it... it pulses for saftly so that you are able to get away from the fence... most people around here tie brightly colored ribbon on their electric fence for their animals and any humans and everyone knows that it is eletricfied... most are not posted...

JoAnn

6. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Fence charger output is limited by specs set by the government. You may want to place a few signs on the fence that it is electrified but there should be no problems. The amount of power required to operate the charger is not significant enough to observe in the utility bill. Buy the largest output charger that you can find for the bucks spent. I think this is a decent charger for the costs at this time http://www.pbsanimalhealth.com/cgi-...er.html?L+scstore+ylbv4672ff94c894+1110585265

7. birdie_poo

I'm pimping for ideas on ways to keep the neighbor out of my yard. I was even thinking of linig the back fence with bee hives. I want something that is legal, and still a deterrent for her and her children.

8. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

I use to have lots of tresspassers. Since putting an electrified perimeter fence around the beef farm I have not knowingly had an offender. I am there daily and I would see someone if they were tresspassing during the day. My only regret was not putting it up earlier. The warranty on the charger is critical to me as my system does get hit by lightning from time to time. I divide the purchase price by the warranty period and figure that is the cost of ownership for the charger.

9. Cygnet

Cygnet Well-Known Member Supporter

I know someone who was sued for "pain and suffering" after the neighbor's kid touched the fence. The neighbor had bought the house with money from a medical lawsuit, and had won a couple other lawsuits where the person had settled rather than fight -- a traffic accident where they were "rear ended" (suspicion of my acquitance was the neighbor stomped on the brakes in front of someone after cutting them off because the woman had tried that with HIM and he'd managed to avoid her by going off the road) and a couple others. Basically, a Professional Litigant. Didn't work, just apparently found a reason to sue someone every year or so.

His homeowner's settled, and then raised his rates.

I have an electric fence, but my neighbors are pretty good people except for the one with the dogs running lose.

Leva

10. birdie_poo

I guess I will just continue to complain about them, and I need to ask what I can legally do to protect myself.

11. furholler

furholler Cedar Cove Farm Supporter

Thanks folks. Any additionall info will be appreciated. I'm getting a family milk cow and maybe our own beef calf. I will be fencing and dividing about 4.5 acres.

12. Phantomfyre

Phantomfyre Black Cat Farm Supporter

It's not failsafe, but you can buy signs that read, "WARNING!!! ELECTRIC FENCE" to put on the lines for cheap. I bought several - one for each neighbor and 2 for along the road. Also made sure the neighbors with kids are aware that the fence is electric, and they need to keep their kids on their own property "for their protection." :haha:

Diana

13. katlupe

katlupe Off-The-Grid Homesteader Supporter

I don't know what you have heard about solar fence chargers, but I have one and it still has the same battery as when I got it 5 years ago. I have 3 very spirited horses, and believe me they respect that fence! I live in upstate NY, where the sun hardly ever shines. Yesterday, I was feeding treats to the horses and one of them touched the fence with her nose and she certainly jumped. Then she stuck her nose in the snow. Well, that answered my question of wondering if it was charged or not (we just don't get much sun here anymore).

14. Cygnet

Re: discouraging the neighbor -- ths would be the obnoxious section 8 lady?

I'd get a video camera and every time she hassles her, get the camera out and start rolling tape. Do it openly. Either you'll get some great video tape to give to the authorities, or she'll get the idea and leave you alone. If you don't have a video tape, get audio of the harrassment, again, do it openly.

Leva

15. DwnByTheCreek

really.. hummm, well, guess that's an eye opener

JoAnn

16. Cygnet

Well, I can tell you anyone who touches my fence would suffer a bit ... it's pretty hot. But it's not permanent damage. My neighbors all know about it. The children certainly know about it, they dare each other to touch it. I take my chances myself, but I have neighbors who are sensible ...

This actually came up in a discussion where I was having a shared rant with a customer at the swap meet over loose dogs & chickens and he mentioned the neighbor -- the same neighbor -- had loose dogs. I suggested electric as an inexpensive way to discourage them, and that triggered a rant about the neighbor suing him over the electric fence, which he'd put up to discourage her loose dogs.

Some people ... *sigh*

Leva

17. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

The only trouble I had is my fence charger was stolen ,But the are cheap to run ,The other problem I had it was 1800 miles to change the battries one way, the feild was in Ohio and I am in Texas.Would get through there once a month to change the battries though.

18. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

Love my electric fences! All solar - a 17 acre perimiter fence, a movable horse pasture fence and one around the vegies. I found my dogs will go through an underground fence after rabbits, then whine because they can't get back in. The horses, mule and donkey will not go near it even when it is off (sensitive skin). Remember, if you're in an area that looses electricity, your fence won't work if it's a plug-in. I also am not using wire. I'm using that plastic cording with wire twisted through it. Seems to be the best from what I've heard, it's also the easiest to move. The ribbon stuff disintegrates in northern AZ.

19. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Well-Known Member Supporter

You bet there are legalities with an electric fence. Lawsuits are very common with them. That's why you'll find those electric fence signs sold in the same store that sells the charger and wire. You'll also frequently find you've got code requirements regarding the placement of those signs.

Mounting those signs is a double edged sword. It gives warning, that's true. It also gives notice that you know you've got a dangerous fence. Sorta like a warning sign for a dog. This can actually go against you in a lawsuit.

As for the notion that they are "safe", don't believe it. A small child tangling with a steady current model will die...eventually. I've killed livestock on them before, that's why I don't use them.