Electric Fencing

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by jackie c, Dec 1, 2004.

1. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

What is the cost of electric fencing with solar, and with regular electric, for a quarter acre. I was told the wire will cost about $200,(in Canada) but they neglected to tell me the 'Total' cost. I'm assuming that posts and securement of the wire is extra as well.

2. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

I think deerbusters.com sells complete systems including solar but they are more expensive. I looked at their site earlier this year but not since....

3. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

the wire doesn't cost so much (around $20/roll) but the fence posts are over $2 apiece, and they need to be ten feet apart, more or less. you will need good wooden posts in each corner, and maybe a few more, depending on how your land lies. it depends how many rows of wire you will put up, how much you will spend. around here, a good solar charger cost around $300. i found out it pays to buy the best you can afford as the littler ones don't put out enough juice. then you will need insulators on each post, the number depends on how many posts and how many strands of wire, but they don't cost much. then figure out how many gates you will need. so that is probably why they couldn't give you a better estimate of the cost. there are a lot of variables. good fence is expensive.

4. boren

boren Well-Known Member

If you're doing high tensile electric you can space your posts much farther than 10 feet. I think the literature said 100 feet for wood posts with an insulated T post every 25 or 50 feet. We have our wood posts at ~25 feet, no problems with goats and sheep. Corners are annoying and need 5 wood posts though. Overall cheaper than woven wire at least.

5. indypartridge

indypartridge Well-Known Member Supporter

Depends to some extent what critter you are fencing in, or trying to keep out.
    Might want to check http://www.horseguardfence.com/index.html for some ideas; there's an on-line cost estimater, and there's some kits that may be suitable for a quarter acre. Add about $100 (US) for a solar fencer.

6. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

We would need a better description of what type of fence. High-tensile is cheapest, tho only on big areas with relatively striaght runs. Often posts are 50 feet apart, 3-5 wires run, one or every other electric.

Wooden posts with cattle pannels & an electric strand is about the most expensive. Posts are 8 feet apart, you spend a buck a foot for the post, 85 cents a foot for the pannel, and another 25-50 cents for the fasteners, electric strand, etc.

There are many options in between. Field wire with an electric wire on top, mix of wooden corners & T post holders is common.

It wouldn't cost me anything for just a quarter acre, there are enough bits laying around my farm to do that without buying anything. Not sure what you can fence in a quarter acre - sounds more like a year around yard, not a pasture with grass. Yards are often fenced much better than a pasture. To my thinking you want the more expensive option up above, but who knows?

So, again, without knowing what or how you are fencing, can't really say. Your biggest expense for such a small area will be the solar fencer...

--->Paul