Electric Fencing/goats n pigs together?

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by GoatTalkr9, Feb 18, 2004.

1. GoatTalkr9

GoatTalkr9 Well-Known Member

I'm curious about the types of fencing everyone is using. I had just assumed that I would have to use panels,etc.,but if electric fencing could actually be used to contain them..I could let them into a large fenced in lot with a shed for protection from weather. My wires run no more than 3 inches off the ground all the way around..and I have 5 to 6 lines (up to 5 foot). Can a few pigs share an acre with 4 or 5 goats?

2. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Pigs are very smart and will respect an electric fence. I use hog panel because it was easier for me to work with. I've never worked with electric fencing. I'm sure the others can help you with the wiring. As for pigs and goats, imo, they shouldn't be kept together. My pigs will kill the ducks and chickens that inadvertently wander into their pens. I 've also read that they can pose a danger to goats, especially newborn kids. You can probably divide that area and let each one have its own space though.

3. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

A farmer I worked for kept pigs with two strands of hot wire-one was about 6" off the ground and the other was about a foot over that. They didn't seem to have any problems and the pigs avoided the wire like the plague. They did have to train the piglets to respect the wire by touching their noses to it whenever they challenged or showed any interest in it.

4. GoatTalkr9

Well,that's good news to me. I might just let them have a small lot that the goats used this winter. I'll go ahead and keep them seperate from the goats though..especially my pregnant does. About the time they start kidding,I'll be bringing piglets to the farm. Gonna be a busy spring/summer. :)

Barb

5. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Unless you put rings in their noses, the pigs will tear up all the sod in your pasture. Even with rings, they might cause the pasture to be unpaletable for the goats.

6. GoatTalkr9

I was thinking about that yesterday when I was reading about how well they clear brush. The lot I might put them in won't be going back to goats accept as a path to another lot.But thanks for pointing it out,I appreciate it.