electric fence versus weeds

Discussion in 'Goats' started by topside1, May 1, 2006.

1. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

Afternoon all, I recently hung electric fencing around my property to keep the goats/calves contained. Love the stuff except the weeds/grasses are growing like crazy here in Tennessee and off I went weed whacking under the bottom electric high tensile strand. Let me tell you that job took a while and now 14 days later it's beginning to need a whacking again. I am considering buying a propane torch to burn the vegetation below the fencing or spraying round up below the bottom strand. I realize my charger will burn vegetation that contacts it, however over time the weeds and grass will over take fence line. Presently the fence line is weed whacked level to the topsoil and it looks great, I just don't want to be walking and whacking a couple of miles every 14 days. I'm not lazy, just like to work smarter, not harder. Any better ideas? What do you folks do? Thanks Tennessee John

2. Wags

Wags Well-Known Member Supporter

Clear your fence line completely with something like roundup and then hit it with noxall or something similar to kill everything for at least a year. Then you only need to hit it with noxall once a year and your fence line will be completely clean.

3. Lancelotacres

Lancelotacres Well-Known Member

I spray the fenceline about every six weeks in the spring/summer with roundup ultra. Hey Wags what is noxall? Never heard of it, is it safe? How do you mix it? Where is it available, and roughly how much does it cost?

Thanx, Lance

4. Wags

Wags Well-Known Member Supporter

Noxall is available at Walmart and costs about $16 for a gallon of concentrate. It is mixed with water and poured on with a watering can. It is a soil sterilaizer - nothing will grow for a year. It is safe for animals after 24 hrs if I remember correctly.

I think it might be out under a new name now - its a LillyMiller product in a blue bottle. http://www.lillymiller.com/labels/LillyMiller/09606007.pdf