electric fence question

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Columbia,SC., Aug 29, 2006.

1. Columbia,SC.

Columbia,SC. Thats MR. Redneck to you

I was wondering if I can set up my charger (15 mile not sure in the joules? 110 volts) here at the house and run a 12/2 wire to carry the power to the fence wire about 20 feet away. This way I do not have to build something to protect the charger from the weather. I will bury the wire and put it in a casing to protect it as well. I am running about 1,000 feet of white ribbon tape fence
    Thanks in advance, Columbia,SC

2. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

That's how I have mine. It's plugged into one of those thingies that screws into the light socket. That's screwed in where we used to have a floodlight under the eaves of the house. I can flip a switch in the house to turn the fence charger on and off. :)

3. Columbia,SC.

I thought that this heavy wire would do but I was not sure, we are getting an older horse for my 7 yo daughter and she/horse will be here on thursday. I have most of the fence finished I have to do one more corner, put in 4 more t posts, drive the ground rod and run the ribbon tape. This will really help save some time and work if I can place the charger at the house, thank you Rose! I am going to start on a shelter for her asap also but the weather here in SW MO is hot but nice right now.
    Any other ideas or help would be great, this is our first horse.

4. When I had my setup I ran a extension cord from the house toward the electric fence and had the fence charger located in a old doghouse that wasn't being used.

But your ideal will work just fine also. However, 12-2 cable maybe more expensive, especially if you use type UF which is what you need for outdoor use.

5. Columbia,SC.

Thanks for the help, I got it finished today and we will be ready in the A.M. for the new horse! My 9" auger tore up the tip so I worked for 4 hours on 3 holes--bummer!
    I drilled holes for a neighbor and it tears up on MY job!
    Anyway the fence is ready and my little girl has no clue her first horse will be here when she comes home from school!
    Thanks again
    Columbia,SC

6. lgslgs

lgslgs Well-Known Member

Our charger is in the garage. It's run through conduit underground and comes up by the fence about 20 feet away.

Lynda