electric fence protector idea ???

Discussion in 'How-To Threads of the past' started by chaossmurf, May 2, 2017.

1. chaossmurf

chaossmurf Well-Known Member

i was trying to think up a cheap way to protect electric fence chargers and came up with this idea --take a good chunk of steel or stainless & drive it into the ground deeply --dead center of the fencing ----then dril holes into it to run the fence through -----then just line the holes with a piece of plastic to keep it from grounding out on the steel---heres my question -----
    being as lightning would surely arc the 1/2 inch past some flimsy plastic to hit the metal spike & go into the ground safely , doesn't that seem to be a good idea ??? --I would post my 3-d drawing of my idea --but I don't know how to find files on my computer :( (computer illiterate here )

2. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm This Space For Rent Supporter

3. ShannonR

ShannonR hillbilly farmgirl

Bearfootfarm, great info! Would you by chance be able to explain the difference between a lightning arrestor, a lightning constricter and a lightning diverter? Which product is appropriate for which uses? The options are rather confusing to me!

4. Bearfootfarm

The terms pretty much all mean the same things.
    Their sole purpose is to stop the flow of too much electricity from the fence to the charger.
    The differences are in how they work.

They can act like a fuse that melts if the voltage is too high or as a "diverter" that channels the energy from the wire into the ground, but it still allows the correct amount of power to flow through.

https://sutherlands.com/products/item/7613904/Zareba-Lightning-Constrictor/

ShannonR likes this.
  5. chaossmurf

thnx for that link there bear ;) too bad they don't have any in stocl or mention their price ----but that sure looks like a cool item :)

6. Bearfootfarm

Lots of places sell them, and lots of companies make them.
    I just used the first link I found as an example.

7. chaossmurf

:) np bud :) yeah spent a little bit talking with my uncle that used to have a tennesse farm and he liked my metal pole idea as an addition to the other forms --hey if it catches some of the strikes it keeps us from having to change out fuses ?? its worth a chunk of scrap steel :)

8. Bearfootfarm

That doesn't do anything a metal T-post doesn't do, but it's your charger.

9. Atgreene

Atgreene Member

I've upgraded my system after frying 4 chargers. We have 45 acres fenced, primarily high tensile. I now have 8- 6' ground rods burried in a ditch 100' long. Several lightning chokes, 2-lightening arrestors and another to be added. Kencove has been great on warrantying their chargers. They also have lots of lightening safety stuff.

10. chaossmurf

hey atgreene --any chance ya wanna post up some links to all that shiny stuff :) ---or pics of ya system ?

11. Murby

Murby Well-Known Member

I had my 100 mile Zareba fencer die on me a couple years back and decided to dig into it to fix it myself. Without schematics, there was some guess work so I called a repair shop I found through Zareba's website.

Got to have a nice long conversation with an 80 year old man who repairs these things all day long and has been doing it for 40 years..

There is no way to protect the delicate electronic components in a fence charger from a lightening strike economically.. The little protectors they sell are all garbage and he's never seen a single instance of one working the way it should.. He said it is more likely that the fence protector will reduce the joules of energy going to the fence..

The moral of the story? The best fence protector you can have is to just disconnect the charger from both the ground and the hot side when a storm comes your way.. They sell quick flip switches at tractor supply company that make it easy.

chaossmurf likes this.
  12. chaossmurf

dang murby --sounds like hes got that market cornered hehehe must be nice to have the same job for 40 years --at least until blue aliens call you and talk forever :) hehe