? Electric fence ground

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Disco Paul, Dec 7, 2006.

1. Disco Paul

Disco Paul Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I have a 6 string electric fence for my goats. 4 hot 2 ground. When I meter it shows a small charge on the ground wires. There are 3 ground rods coming off the charger.
    There are no ground rods hooked up to the ground wires. I am using wooden posts. The goats don't seem to be getting shocked when touching the wires.
    The hot wires read 4500 volts+. Is it normal to have a small charge on the ground wires and should I ground the 2 ground wires with rods? I can't find a short anywhere.
    Thanks Paul

2. suzyhomemaker09

suzyhomemaker09 Well-Known Member

Some goats still manage to go right through hot wires...I have heard it said that if it won't hold water it won't hold a goat.
    What is the output of your charger?
    is it a hard wire or solar?
    what sort of insulators are you using on your wooden posts?

3. Disco Paul

Output at the charger is over 5500 volts. Its a plug in type. plastic tube insulators. The only goat that has gone thru the wires is our buck. It threw him back 2 times and 3rd time he made it thru. He wanted some luvin.

4. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

It couldnt hurt to add more ground rods. If the soil is dry it doesnt conduct well so more grounding is always better.

There shouldnt be any charge on the ground wires. There is a fault somewhere. Maybe a bad insulator?

"A ground wire or rod giving a shock indicates a poorly grounded system. Make certain that your rod clamp firmly bites into the rod; do not use wrapped wire or hose clamps in place of a rod clamp.

Ground rods need to be placed outside where the soil gets sufficient moisture. Rods must be galvanized steel or copper clad and driven to a depth of at least 6 feet. We recommend using 3 ground rods spaced 10-feet apart.

Dry or sandy soils require better grounding systems for animals to receive a shock. Even 3 ground rods may not be enough for some locations.

Extreme conditions may require a ground wire running parallel to the hot wire for the entire length of the fence. Connect the ground wire to the ground system of the fencer and also to ground rods every 1,300 feet along the fence line."
    http://www.zarebasystems.com/support/troubleshooting.aspx

5. PyroDon

PyroDon Well-Known Member

We use rebar posts the hot wires are on insulators the ground wire is wrapped at least once around each post in addition to the ground rod . This is for a mini horse but should work on a six wire for goats as well . the method gives you as many ground rods as you have posts .

6. Disco Paul

Thanks for the replies

I installed it with 3 ground rods 6' deep 10' apart like you were saying. I had a fence company put up the fence itself. There are 2 ground wires that run the entire length of the fence. About 2800' ft. I was thinking about putting ground rods connected to these wires. The 3 ground rods from the charger are under the drip line of my barn so it stays damp there. Our soil is fairly sandy. We hav'nt had much rain.
    Thanks Paul

7. suzyhomemaker09

suzyhomemaker09 Well-Known Member

Oh..if it's a buck in rut you are trying to contain I really don't think any amount of hotwire that'll keep him in...bucks need a more secure pen.

8. Disco Paul

Just a note of thanks!

Added 1 ground rod 1400' down the line.

Found a place where they installed hot insulated wire splice covered with black electrical tape. Staple was grounding it out.

Now I have 5500 volts+ with no stray voltage showing on my 2 ground wires.

Thanks Much
    Paul

9. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

I thought it must have a short somewhere to have a charge on the ground wire. My neighbor had the same problem with his fence and it was a stray piece of wire touching an old fence. Congrats on finding it. They can drive you crazy LOL