electric fence & goats

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Dale in Ar, Jul 15, 2006.

1. Dale in Ar

Dale in Ar Well-Known Member

I know that electric fence has been discussed before but I would like a little more info.The other day a couple of my does came around the corner of the yard and then ran back in.I went to find out how they were getting out.While I was looking the situation over,up came a little doe,rubed the bridge of her nose on the wire and under she went.I checked the wire and it was hot in the exact spot she went under.I have a T.S.C. charger rated for 5 miles and I used a roll of 1/4 mile wire,4 strand at 8 inches apart.The ground was wet and there was good connection.Now, what happened ?? Would a bigger charger(more miles)give a better results ??? Or ,will just putting in a woven wire fence be the the only solution ???I'm trying to enlarge my pasture,little by little,is the only reason that I am using the electric fence to start with.The does haven't been giving me troubles before now but the grass and brush is getting dry.I have persentage boer does if that will help.

2. TennesseeMama23

TennesseeMama23 Well-Known Member

I have found 4 strand isn't enough (just like you) my goats would go thru it. I have found that 6 strand works much better. The bottom 4 strands are about 4 inches (?) apart (2 notches on a t-post) and the top 2 I left 3 notches. i haven't had that trouble since I added the additional strands. The bottom strand is 2 notches off the ground. I think a couple more strands and you would be good to go.

Melanie

3. bill not in oh

bill not in oh Well-Known Member

Dale, do you have a fence tester to see just how many volts you have going through? If it's under 4000 with absolutely no load (grass, weeds, brush), you're probably undercharged for goats. Plus since that charger is not (I believe) a low impedence charger, once you start getting a load the voltage on the wire will drop fairly quickly.

How many grounding rods, what type, and how far from the charger do you have it/them connected? And how are they connected to the charger?

What gauge wire are you using? The heavier the wire (smaller number) the easier the electricity moves across the wire (less resistance).

Low impedence chargers (weed burners) typically use a longer pulse (thus their ability to actually burn through plant material touching the wire) that is much more daunting than other chargers.

Remember that any fence is only as good as its ability to provide more motivation not to challenge it than the motivation of the animal to challenge it. If yu have a highly motivated goat(s) it could take extra wires, alternating hot and ground wires (there's a 'pop' for ya) or a combination of fencing like cattle panels with offset electric wires at the top.

Our pygmy and dairy goats won't go within 2 feet of our high tensile fences, but we trained them well with a 50 mile charger (6000 + volts).

4. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

I had the same problem when I first tried to put up fencing. My charger just wasn't strong enough for so many strands. I, personally, put up woven ranch fencing with a hot strand along the bottom (top too for the buck pen) If the electric is down for some reason (storm that night) and I don't get to it for a week, they will test it and know it's off.

Listen to Bill, he's on the mark.

5. chas

chas Well-Known Member

I have a weed Chopper and a five light tester to see if it's up to snuff!
    8 strands of non electric barb wire hardly slowed them down getting out.Then I put electric in the 2nd wire 8" from the ground,some determined ones just went right thru tangling the hot wire with the one next to it,effectively shorting the fence.
    Now I have the 8" extended plastic insulators and now before they can get to the main fence and sqweeze out they get their little noses fried and back out before tangling the wires.And those wires where tractor pulled tight but,get slack with age.
    They haven't tested the high tensile fence yet.If they do those insulators go on there too!
    Chas

6. bill not in oh

Chas

This will help prevent those sagging strands of fence. I use them with ratchet tensioners on high tensile, but i don't see why they wouldn't work on barbed wire.

[​IMG]

Take care with electrifying barbed wire... I've heard many horror stories involving its use

7. 6e

6e Farm lovin wife Supporter

We use electric fence and we only use 3 strands and it even keeps our buck in, but we use one powerful charger. It's rated for 10 miles and is what you would call a "weed burner". When they touch it, they know they've hit something! It only takes once or twice for them to learn to stay away from the fence. I'm not sure it would work on all goats, but it works on ours, but we give them no reason to get out. There's plenty of food on their side. We did have one Nubian cross buck that would get out of anything, I mean anything. Prison fencing probably wouldn't have kept him in, so he went on a permanent vacation to the freezer. But the Boers seem pretty easy to keep in. This is what we've found works for us.

8. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

We use electric fence for our milk herd and kids as well. There have been many threads on this in the past so if you do a search a *lot* of info should come up. :)

9. bill not in oh

AND make an extreme example of goats that refuse to obey!! LOL

10. 6e

6e Farm lovin wife Supporter

You're darn right!!!!! LOL