Electric fence for pygmy goats?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by poppy, May 23, 2005.

1. poppy

poppy Guest

My woven wire is getting old and needs to be replaced. All I keep in is pygmy goats. It is about 1 acre with a small pond. Would an electric fence keep them in? And how far apart would you space the wires? It would be alot easier to install than woven wire. I was looking at electric fencers at Rural King. Are the battery or solar ones effective for goats?

2. popscott

popscott Well-Known Member Supporter

This is my 2 cents worth.......

I have kept pygmy goats for many years in an electric fence...I now have 4 strands, but am going to 5 strands as a select few have figured out how to twist and jump off the ground and through strands 2 and 3...from my experience you have to use BARBED wire on the lower 3 strands to give a bite down to the skin (regular round stuff won't work worth a flip on a goat).....Get a good plug in fence charger and a copper grounding rod (Home Depot) driven to the hilt...

There are pros and cons to the electric fence.....cons are constant upkeep (Roundup is a great help here) and it can get hit by lightning anywhere near the fence (I've replaced several boxes over the years)....
    one of the pros I like best is outside critters (we have a healthy coyote population around)
    won't mess with it, it is low cost and is not a permanent fence....

And as far as an electrocuted goat, its NEVER happened here...

Thanks,
    Scott
    http://www.justkiddinfarm.com

3. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

When I started out, I used electric fence. It kept my horse in but her pet pygmy would get out all the time. I also had trouble with deer taking the fence down. Saw a 12 pointer pop three lines when his horns got caught.

I personally like the woven wire with a strand of electric running inside on the bottom. Keeps goats in and predators out.

Don't bother with the solar, it isn't strong enough most of the time. MHO

4. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

I use tall stock panels, pygmys can fly, I watched one of my does today, fly over a five foot fence, so tomorrow,, we are adding another foot of wire to it. then a top board. pygmys are the cutest things in the world, but they do fly.