Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, we recently put up an electric fence for our goats, but they are running through it. We only have a small energizer on it though atm, as well as just 4 strands of wire. We're going to put up another 2 strands (for a total of six), and get a new energizer (the one we have on it now is quite old from when I had horses as a kid, energizing just one wire). our fence is about 1/4 mile long (so we'll ahve about 1.5 miles worth of wire once all is said and done).

We're most interested in getting a solar powered energizer and have called our local supply stores and are just unsure as to what we need exactly. My goat book recommends 4.5+ joules, but these are all .2 - .8 stored joules, though rated for 2-5 miles of fenceing. Does anyone use a solar charger? If so, which one do you have?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Do not know if a solar will work or not.I have 4 strands up also,but my next to the top strand is a ground all the way around my fence. I have approx.40 acres fence off with two 100 mile charges.Have somewhere around 90 head right now, the fence is running around 5000 volts on the little checkers you buy at the feed store. Also i have had no problems with the goats getting out , or anything coming in.

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
IMO, a solar charger with that few joules isn't going to give you much punch. Grounding is going to be key, though, as will energizing *all* the strands (or at least 5 and making the 6th a ground extension).

Try the archives here. We've had lots of discussion on this. :)

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
Instead of a solar charger, you can get more power by buying a battery powered charger. Then buy a solar battery charger to keep the battery charged.

I bought a 45w solar kit from Harbor Freight that keeps my battery charged while it runs my fence and a few 12v lights at my barn. It was $199 when I bought it 4 years ago. I just bought another one last month for the same price.

One problem with all chargers is that they aren't hot continuously, but instead fire about evey second. Some fire more often than others. A goat can sneak through the fence in between shocks.

All my goats are fainters or crossed with fainters. That makes them more sedate in addition to adding worm tolerance. They don't challenge the fence like some breeds do.

I also put spreaders in the wire in between posts. I made my spreaders out of cheap plastic plumbing tubing with slots cut in it. The spreaders make it hard for the goats to push the wires apart. It takes them longer to get through and the fence shocks them before they can do it.

If you can just get them shocked good a couple of times they'll give up on going through.

Observe which two strands they are going between, then make one of those strands hot and ground the other one. That'll knock the fire out of them. You'll get a better shock than by depending upon their feet to ground them.

Genebo
Paradise Farm

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
42,326 Posts
I was never able to keep goats in with strands of hot wire. I now use electric net.

Also a high joule rating is a must.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Hi there, we recently put up an electric fence for our goats, but they are running through it. We only have a small energizer on it though atm, as well as just 4 strands of wire. We're going to put up another 2 strands (for a total of six), and get a new energizer (the one we have on it now is quite old from when I had horses as a kid, energizing just one wire). our fence is about 1/4 mile long (so we'll ahve about 1.5 miles worth of wire once all is said and done).

We're most interested in getting a solar powered energizer and have called our local supply stores and are just unsure as to what we need exactly. My goat book recommends 4.5+ joules, but these are all .2 - .8 stored joules, though rated for 2-5 miles of fenceing. Does anyone use a solar charger? If so, which one do you have?
You have to "train" goats to an electric fence just like any animal. Put them in a small area with permanent fencing that they can't get through. Then put a couple of strands of charged wire inside of that. They'll soon learn what an electric fence is. I would get a 6 joule charger or higher. Good luck.

·
Registered
58 Posts
50 mile charger works. Must keep volts above 5K. Go big or go home with regards to chargers. I started with 4 and ended up with 7.. decided while adding 2 might as well add 3.

They laughed at the 2 mile charger I had on about 1000 feet of wire(small temp pasture) and went right through. 50 mile they seemed not to like :shrug:

They will go thorugh a couple times even with big charger, happened 3 or 4 times in Sept when I got my goats. They learn and then stay away. No problems in 2 months... They don't test it now.

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
A lot depends upon your goats. Mine are all or part fainters and grew up trained to electric.

Another factor is if the inside is better than the outside. I work hard to keep good pastures with a lot of variety in them.

I run a 1.5 joule Parmak charger that puts out around 3.2K volts. Five strands. The last time I had a goat get out was in 2004.

Genebo
Paradise Farm

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
We put orange plastic snow fence around the outside of our pasture. 3 strands of hot wire is all we have. No problems. I think the snow fence lets them know where they can go. If we put them in a pasture without it, they'll sneak through the wires. I've seen em jerk as the fence hits them but they are so hard headed they keep going through.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, thanks for all your replies. We strung two more wires today (so we have a total fo six now), and are making them 'ground' wires. I've been looking at chargers online and at the farmers exchange and tractor supply. I like that the gallaghers have 2 year warranties (them and zareba's seem to be whats available around here). Online I keep seeing a series of Gallagher fence chargers that are supposedly 'designed' for goats - The Billy, The Nanny and The Kid.... Does anyone have one of these? Or know what on earth makes them different from a standard fence charger and thus makes them preferable when dealing with goats??

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
42,326 Posts
High joules. I called them when I was charger shopping. They recommended 6 joules. I think Emily (Ozark Jewels) recommends that, too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts