Electric fence charger zapped by lightening!!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Milk n' Honey, Aug 26, 2006.

1. Milk n' Honey

Milk n' Honey Well-Known Member

Hey ya'll. We went out and bought a brand new fence charger and ran wire around the bottom of the goat lot. Well, we had a storm and now it doesn't work. We lost several electronic items from a lightening strike. Are these things really touchy? What can we do to keep this from happening? It isn't like those chargers are cheap! Now we have to buy another one. :shrug:

2. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

You can add a "lightning arrester" between the hot wire and the charger. You can also unhook the fence during storms if youre there to do it. This means unhook the fence itself, not just unplug it from the wall. Check the manual that came with it. Some have replaceable fuses so it could just be they are blown

3. Milk n' Honey

Milk n' Honey Well-Known Member

My husband took it apart and couldn't find a fuse.

4. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

Some chargers also come with a lightening guarantee. I had one fixed free within the year of damage.

Mine frequently blow fuses. It depends on the kind you get.

I also had one who's cover flew off the front and dented a metal cabinet across the barn.

5. boren

boren Well-Known Member

A fence charger works by powering a big long wire that runs potentially for miles and miles. The current comes back through the ground. Lightning strikes tend to hit tall items the delivers the power and a few million volts into the ground. The surge either into the fence line, or the ground bounce can easily blow up the fence charger. Since it doesn't have a fuse it's probably a pretty cheap one. Next time try one with a fuse (one of ours has 2) and see how it works.

If you have a multistrand electric fence guys around here like groundding the top wire instead of having it hot. The theory is, it'll take the lightning strike straight to ground instead of through the charger. At first blush seems smart.