Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a recommendation on electric fence chargers. I now have a Patriot P5 charger which is connected to 200’ of 42’ Premier1 electric netting. I have sheep and goats which I’d like to rotate around my property. I believe the fencing is good but my charger does not deliver enough of a jolt to make the animals respect it, I think? This is generally connected to 100’ of extension cord to the area’s I use it. Possibly I’m getting voltage drop from the extension cord? I know the ground to be good and I am diligent about keeping the weeds from grounding out the fence. I also unfortunately test this fence out every now and then when I forget it’s on and it does deliver enough of a shock to get my attention. I believe my charger is rated for .5 joules, whether I’m actually getting that to the fence? Not sure?

·
STILL not Alice
19,808 Posts
Yeah, you're going to want at least 6 joules to train them. Some will take 8, if they're particularly stubborn.

Alice, you are STILL the Queen of Research! What a great chart!

·
Premium Member
3,579 Posts
I agree 6 joules or higher. We have went through a few chargers here (two are older then dirt) and my new Zareba (dont suggest anyone getting one) quit right after owning it for a year. It was a 6 joule and kept even the boys in. I have read a lot of reviews and was trying to choose between a Parmak or a Gallagher. I have read more good reviews on the Parmak and for 135.00 it fits our budget right now. Gallagher does make a box that if I ever have 500.00 to spare I will get it. It is like 18 joules and does 200 acres or something like that.

Make sure you buy a lighting guard and check them often.

This is the one we are buying. http://www.parmakusa.com/product_details.php?PId=6

1 - 5 of 5 Posts