Electric fence box....

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by dragonfly1113, Jan 6, 2007.

1. dragonfly1113

dragonfly1113 Well-Known Member

I have an electric fence box that is made for dogs. My husky has came into heat a month early and if that box is not on she will dig out and gone she will be. Two days ago I checked the box and it was working. Sparks... when I touched the handle hook to the place you hook it. Today however is not working. You can touch it and it wont shock you. I have checked the lines for anything touching them and nothing is. My husband has one of those 12 volt test lights (thats all we have here, a screwdriver looking test light) and it shows power everywhere... from the box to the end. But you can stand there and hold it and nothing. No sparks today from the handle hook and the place where you hook it. Does anybody know what the problem could be or what I can do. My dog can not get out. I live in town and my car is in the shop getting the transmission fixed. Please, please, please someone tell me what to do or check for.
    Susie

2. BasicLiving

BasicLiving Well-Known Member

The only thing I can think of is the ground wire. Do you have a ground rod that you are wiring to? Make sure the wire has good contact with the rod and with the box. Is the ground fairly moist where the ground wire is? If not, soak it with water and see if that helps.

If nothing is touching the wires and you have good current, I can't think of anything else. Sorry :shrug:

Penny

3. pancho

pancho Well-Known Member

If the ground wire is alright you have a ground on your hot wire.
    Go to the place where the handle hooks is. Without hooking the handle to the box check to see if it is working. If it is working you have a ground somewhere in the hot wire, if it isn't working it is the box.
    If it is a ground of the hot wire go half way around the fence and seperate the hot wire and check again. If the ground remains go back half way from the cut you made and the box and repeat the procedure. Repeat until you isolate the ground then repair.

4. dragonfly1113

Went out and checked the ground and redone all of it and it still would not work sooooo I had DH touch the wires to make sure :) he didnt get shocked. So we came inside and checked the box with bare fingers instead of meters and nothing. It should have shocked the pee pee out of my husband but it didnt. So I need a new box. LOL it was funny watching DH wrinkle his eyes as he grabbed a hold both those thingys at the same time. I would have felt bad if he would have gotten shocked though. Well I am getting a ride to tractor supply for a new box. Thanks everybody.
    Susie

5. bill not in oh

bill not in oh Well-Known Member

One of these:

Poor ground - the connectors clamping the ground wire to the ground rod should be tightened every 2-3 months and the connection cleaned once a year. This is not always necessary, but sure as you don't do it....

Short on the hot wire(s) - go back and check them again. I've walked past shorted wires 4-5 times looking for the culprit. They're not always obvious.
    Listen for 'snapping' where the wire may be arcing. I've had wires slip off the insulator or the insulator simply break causing the wire to lay directly on a steel T-post - no arcing, still some power in the fencing, but it can drain it enough to be ineffective.

Bad charger - if there is a good ground and no short, it's about all that's left.

You should get an actual fence tester as it will give you the actual voltage on the line.

6. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

there is a breaker unit sometimes its called a flasher inside or on the outside that needs replaced

7. dragonfly1113

We went to tractor supply and they had an electric fence that was small and it did not require a ground. The box has a light on it and if anything touches that fence the light goes out so you know to check the fence. So we bought it and brought it home. DH was taking the wires off the old box while it was still plugged in :nono: Well lets just say it wasnt the box that was messed up. :) It was the wire that was coming into the house. So we know the old box still works. I decided on putting it up and using the new box with the light. DH ran new line into house and hooked up the new box. Light is on but me being scared it is not working I want him to be sure.... I convience him to touch it because I dont want to :chicken: . So he does and nothing. :shrug: Back to the drawing board. So he is out there and it is now dark and he has a roll of electric fence wire on the ground and he picks up some of the wire and it accidently touches the fence and POW. :rotfl: Well it really isnt funny but I heard him in a loud voice saying it was working. Me not understanding how it was working when he could walk up to it and touch it and it would not shock him. He said that his shoes stopped him from being grounded (because this fence requires no ground) But if he had no shoes on it would have shocked him. I tried to get him to take his shoes off to see if it would work. He said he had been shocked enough. He did touch something to the fence so I could see that the light would go out if it was not working.