electric fence....8 week gilts

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by old timer, Mar 19, 2005.

1. old timer

old timer Active Member

OMG we rounded up these two all day....turned them out to their new pasture and they went nuts.....under, over and through....

How in the world do I train them to stay in a 3 wire, 1 joule hot fince? 4" 6" and 12" gaps.

any sugestions///

also the goats....when they touched it ...instead of backing up...went forward and out.....

greg.......

2. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Hi Greg,
    Umm, off the top of my head I can't remember how powerful 1 joule is but it should be enough to stop your pigs.

Having said that, the behaviour of both your pigs and goats is quite normal. It never ceases to amaze me that when an animal meets an electric fence for the first time, instead of backing off it, it goes ape-**** and continues on through it.
    Believe me, both the pigs and the goats will settle down and learn that it's easier to stay behind it than force the issue. My pigs (mature sows and boars) respect the electric to the point that if it's not going they still won't come through it. I'm a great one for turning it off to do a job and then forgetting to turn it back on again. Three days later I realise that I can't hear it clicking but all the pigs, sheep and cattle are still in their paddocks.

It may take a couple of days but they'll learn. BTW, are they rung? If their nose ring hits the fence, they learn double quick that it's an unpleasant experience.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

3. beeman97

beeman97 Well-Known Member

Oldtimer,
    I would suggest you put the pigs up in a contained area they CANNOT escape, then you can run a temporary single wire at nose level inside the contained area. then make it hot. they will learn in a day or 2 not to touch it & then they will be safe to put outside in your pasture area. they will continue to test your pasture fence for a time , but once they have learned that they cannot go forward when bit, (this is learned in the contained area) they will back up & you will be safe to have them outside.
    Good Luck
    Rick

4. Horace Baker

Horace Baker Well-Known Member

That's the way to do it. Most of our pig pens have a single "training wire" in case we ever want to put a batch under electric fence. Many litters so trained we have kept in without incident using only one wire.

5. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

The electric fence needs to imprint on the animals mind. Your charger is way too weak for the initial training!

6. old timer

old timer Active Member

I have 5 children here and didn't want to kill them with too stong a shock..... LOL they seem to be staying put today.. thanks for all your replies..

Greg

7. okiemom

okiemom Well-Known Member

when we introduce new goats to the electric fence we will back them into it. They get the shock and run FROM the fence not toward it. the goat has a leash on and we bring it back to the fence and try to back it into the fence again. Normall,y it never takes a third time. We have bought some goats that know electric and we can't back them into it, they already know what it is.
    We find that backing and keeping them on a long rope will help stop them from testing the fence. Just an idea.

8. RedneckPete

RedneckPete Well-Known Member

For sure the hot wire inside the existing pen. Has worked like a charm for me.

Pete

9. Matt NY

Matt NY Well-Known Member

Younger pigs test it more than the older ones. Mine had a hard time crossing where the fence used to be. Leave the gat area unelectrified if you intend to drive them through it someday.

10. Paul72

Paul72 Well-Known Member

When we bring ours out of the barn the first pen we put them into is our "training pen" It is about a 1/2 acre pen with 3' tall hog wire around, about 12-18" inside of that I run 2 strands of electric, a couple days in this pen and they are ready for the pasture.