Electric Company Control Of Power

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by NJ Rich, Jul 21, 2006.

1. NJ Rich

NJ Rich NJ Rich

My electric company keeps asking us to allow them to put a control on our power to let them shut off power to our air conditioning for periods of time during high useage hours. So far we have a choice whether to have it or not. I don't want it and will fight getting it Of those of you that have the control how is it affecting your home and life. Is it saving you any money? What problems have you had? NJ Rich

2. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

they do it when people are at work so it doesnt affect you
    i know some people that have it they allow you some money

3. debd0712

debd0712 Well-Known Member

We had that when we lived in Illinois. Dh worked nights, I worked days and we still had 6 children at home. There was almost always someone at home. We never noticed a real difference and it saved us a considerable amount (about 1/4) on our electric bill. We thought it was well worth it. Even on the hottest days it always came back on soon enough not to affect the inside temperature by more than a few degrees. Seemed almost unnoticable to us.

Debbie

4. Jack in VA

Jack in VA Well-Known Member

They shut it off for such a short time you'll never notice it.

5. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

The idea behind this contraption is to save the need during highest peak demands of energy usage. This would allow the existing transmission network and energy production facilities to keep up with the increased demand. It really is not designed to save "us" anything but rather to "save" the big picture. I think it is a good idea. My parents have had these devices for many years and never noticed a difference.

6. citilivin

citilivin Well-Known Member

I'm not familiar with this type of switch. Wouldn't a good thermostat do the same thing? I just resent another hand in my business.

7. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

I say the idiots in california that cannot figure out how to allow building of power plants needs to go a whole summer without airconditioning, after all it isn't that bad, it's "dry" heat. :flame:

8. mzzlisa

mzzlisa Well-Known Member

I have one. I have not noticed a difference. They didn't have to come in my house or cause me any reason to stay home from work, so I said yes. If I use less electricity, thats a good thing! I would rather do it this way than end up with brown-outs.

9. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

This switch actually overrides your thermostat. Well, it only overrides your thermostat if the thermostat is calling for cold.

10. annethcz

annethcz Well-Known Member

We've had one for 5 years. I've never noticed any difference in terms of A/C performance or temperatures. In addition to the savings due to less electricity used, we also receive a $10 credit on each bill during the summer months.

11. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Nice post Oilpatch.Showing your brilliance in spades today.

BooBoo

12. palani

palani Well-Known Member

The problem has less to do with temperature than with load shedding during periods of peak electrical usage. This solution has got to be better than rolling blackouts over entire neighborhoods.

13. bugstabber

bugstabber Chief cook & weed puller Supporter

They do something similar with electric water heaters here. It's usually not a problem.

14. texican

texican Well-Known Member

They want me to use more power, not less...

and I would never voluntarily have the power going off at odd times, since I'm around the house most days, and popping in and offline continously, or having the computer doing something... and if the power goes off unannounced, I've lost everything... Been THERE, Done THAT!!!, and it's a pain in the patootie...

2 weeks till my HT sweetie arrives...

15. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

We got a free new water heater installed for allowing the rural electric coop to shut off the power to the water heater during peak usage for a 5 year period. They install a radio controlled switch on the water heater only. They turn it off for one hour during peak power usage. This was early in the morning when everyone was taking their shower. We never at any time knew if it had been shut off or not.
    They would shut the switches off in a wedge shaped direction from the office for one hour then change over to another wedge shaped group. The peak power needs was over before they made the complete circle of customers.
    The coop don't produce their own power. They buy it from a power plant elsewhere. It saves them form paying a higher charge for the power surge required during peak usage.
    Everyone still uses the same amount of electricity, We just don't pay for the higher priced peak power.

16. dagwood

dagwood Well-Known Member

It's a personal choice but can't harm you if you go with their plan.

17. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

The REA coop here will install a new, lifetime garentee water heater for $120 - if you let it run off-peak. Basically they turn it on at 11pm or so, and off again at 7:00am. It is a huge 80 gallon, $800 water heater, very efficient - not the typical metal one you would buy that rusts out in 10 years. At 80 gallons, you shouldn't run out of hot water in 1/2 a day.... We never have in - hum - that's been 8 years now?

My sis is 100 miles away, she has her air conditioner on the same deal you are talking about. She says the electricity is meetered seperate on the air conditioner, it is 1/3 less cost. She _loves_ it. Saved them a pile of money since they had it switched over. She just talked about it a couple weeks ago - said it is important to cool the house down early if it will be a hot day, don't wait until it is hot. Then it doesn't keep up any more. But with any little thought at all, it really saves a lot of money because of the different metering - really cheap cost to run the AC.

To each their own, but I look at these types of programs as a good oppertunity to save some money - and save some environment as well with lower peak demands - and a really, really good thing.

I'm not sure I understand why one wouldn't want these things, if available?

But, to each their own.

--->Paul

18. legacy

legacy Well-Known Member

I did it many years ago and could never tell a difference. You can always opt out if you decide it's not for you.

The main reason utilities do this is to manage their own power load. If they have to go outside your area to buy power to meet their load (demand), they have to pay for it. That will cost them and, in turn, cost you. These transactions occur all day long. Power producers buy and sell power to each other within minutes, and even seconds, everyday. They do it over the phone and the "contract" is a tape recording of the agreed-upon price (measured in 100ths of a cent.)

The second reason is that they can sell excess power that is over and above what their market is currently using. That keeps your power bill down (because they are regulated, they can't make unlimited amounts of money. When they make a profit, they return it to you in savings--yes they really do. In essense, they are selling your power to someone else and returning the profit to you in the form of stable or reduced power rates.

I don't have this option where I'm living now, but I wish I did. That extra $120 a year is nice and the drop in the montly bill is very noticable.

Yes, I used to work in the power industry.