Electric Commercial Type Chain Saw Sharpener--Anyone have or tried one?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by braggscowboy, Jan 24, 2005.

1. braggscowboy

braggscowboy Well-Known Member Supporter

I sharpen my own chains by hand and sometimes I do well and sometime they don't do too well. Cut sideways, or not cut at all. I have noticed the Orgeon sharpeners on ebay. Wondering if anyone has one and likes or dislikes it? I would like to have something that works well and could sharpen and work everytime where it will cut.

2. dreadstalker

dreadstalker Well-Known Member

i have never tried the Oregon brand electric sharpener,i have used the Dremel attachment and it worked well for me.mostly i hand sharpen.are you holding the file at the right angle and giving equal strokes to each tooth?

3. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

I have an Oregon homeowners version of shop type chain sharpener. Got it some time back from place where it was discontinued and deeply discounted. Its ok. I certainly can do a very accurate sharpening every time and if one is careful can sharpen chain over and over many times. (shops selling new chain have no incentive to be frugal/conservative in sharpening your chain) I welded up a little portable stand for mine at height where I can sit on stool and do the sharpening. Fast and most convenient way to sharpen chain in my opinion. Even and efficient cutting after every sharpening.

Now, please consider that there are cheaper versions of this type sharpener. Some who have posted here have gotten very good results with the China clones even though they are more "plasticky". I saw one in Harbor Freight circular month ago or so that was on sale for $49.95. I'd sure give it some consideration at that price. Thats getting down in price range of some of those little dremel type sharpeners.

Here is picture of Oregon one that looks like mine: [​IMG]

4. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I've been looking at the MAX version. I like the idea you can tilt the head either way so you don't leave a burr on half your cutters. Cheap if its a quality tool, pricey if its not, and while I've liked the Oregon types I've seen I've never seen the MAX anywhere but a picture. This was talked about not long ago on the Shop board maybe you should do a search to read more replies from there.