Electric Co Op Dividends?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by texican, Dec 14, 2005.

1. texican

texican Well-Known Member

Anyone ever get dividend checks from their rural electric co op?

Just got a check for 47$. About what I pay each month. Last year got a 70$ check. Was surprised there were any checks sent out this year, with the rise in natural gas prices.

2. green5acres

green5acres Well-Known Member

I just got mine today! $142 .Im going to the feed store tomorrow and stocking up!

3. Snowdancer

Snowdancer Well-Known Member

I got two last week-one from the WI REA for $23 and one from the WI Telephone cooperative for $16!

Considering that I haven't used either of those utilies for close to 8 yrs it was a nice surprise.:) I also get one from the WI Feed/Grain cooperative we used to belong to but I think that one comes in the spring. :shrug:

4. Westwood

Westwood Well-Known Member

Co-ops are non profit corporations. If they show income exceeding expenses they must rebate to their members. You.

Credit Unions are the same way. Not for profit. I if you're eligible to be a member of a Credit Union. Join it!

5. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

Also, you are an owner/stockholder of your Electric co-op. I never got around to it, but my next electric co-op if any I plan to ask them to vote on subsidizing installing solar panels for electricity either with loan supports or price reductions or in the first place to ask them to agree to buy power back from customers. If the majority of the members want that, it will happen. No big oil or big coal lobby should be involved (hopefully!) in the decision.

6. Iddee

Iddee Well-Known Member

I get my 6 cent check every year, like clockwork. I lived in MS. in1982-3, and have gotten it ever since. I have tried to give the stock back, buy more, anything to get them to quit wasting their customer's money by keeping up with the paperwork and mailing a 6 cent check, but to no avail.

7. unioncreek

unioncreek Well-Known Member Supporter

I get a dividend check every year from my electrical or gasoline coops. Each check is only $25, but it's better than nothing. For my gasoline coop you have to buy one share for $30 in order to receive the dividend.

Bobg

8. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

I guess no one has told the credit union where I have an account that it should be good for members. I've already moved everything but a small loan out of it.

When it does get money ahead it builds another branch with a fancy building, or simply raises employees salaries to unbelievable amounts. Interest on savings? No better than anywhere else. Lower interest rates on loans? No better than a bank.

The only thing good is that they are open some holidays when banks are closed, well, just my opinion. Yours must be different.