Electric charger

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Christiaan, May 3, 2004.

1. Christiaan

Christiaan Dutch Highlands Farm

I need to know if more than one fence charger can be hooked up to the grounding system. I use the three 6 foot rods in damp ground and it would be nice not to have to install a second one for another charger.

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Hooking two chargers to the same ground should work, but why would you need two chargers?

3. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

Well Uncle Will, we used two "weed choppers" on the fences around our pasture on the family farm.

One fed the fence going north and then west, while the other fed the fence going west and then north where it met the other fence. Each fed 1½ miles of fence. These weed choppers provided enough ZAP to burn back the tips of green foliage to prevent it from shorting out the chargers. Although labeled for the distance, we found one just didn't do the trick nearly as well as two.

4. Jim S.

Jim S. Well-Known Member

Christiaan, you can ground both to the same ground. You are way over adequate on your grounding for damp soil. I just use one ground rod 6-8 feet in the soil and it works more than fine. (Uh, I KNOW that for a fact...if you get my drift!)

In fact, I have one charger that is just grounded to a metal electric fence post, and it works fine.

Of course, that won't work in arid areas.

5. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Two or more chargers can share a ground but the hot wires should be connected to where the chargers are not on the same run/wire.

6. Christiaan

Christiaan Dutch Highlands Farm

Thanks for the quick responce everyone. The reason I want another charger is to add more fence than my current charger can handle. It handles mostly electric netting which takes much more juice than a wire.