Electric Chainsaws

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Unregistered-1427815803, Dec 17, 2003.

1. I'm considering getting an electric chainsaw, with the thought that in my remote area where gas is twelve miles away and very expensive it would be easier and cheaper to keep an electric saw recharged with a solar panel. IF you've ever used one, and I'm looking for real life experience here, not educated hypotheses, what is your opinion?
    I won't be felling timber with it, just using it to buck logs under 15" diameter. Let me know about performance, reliability, expense of parts, etc. Thanks.

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Guest, I am aware of no company offering a battery electric chain saw, just ones with power cords; who makes this saw?

3. Kenneth in NC

Kenneth in NC Well-Known Member

Wouldn't that be a rechargeable saw? Electric chain saws use electricity not batteries. My electric would NOT cut 15" logs. I do well to cut 7" logs in diameter. I also have a 14.4 rechargeable. It cuts limbs fairly well and small 4" or less trees. Charge last about 1.5 hours of constant use.

Hope that helped.

4. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Electric chainsaws are only good to sell. Aint worth a crap to use. Dont waste your money.

5. puffdog

puffdog Active Member

I have owned two very handy to have around for trimming but never used one for cutting firewwod The one I have now is 2 years old (Wal-mart special) probally has been run for 3 hours total use however it still works fine. I would worry about how long they would last in regular use . Hope this helps

6. diane greene

diane greene Well-Known Member

I have never seen a chainsaw that could be charged via solar, but I made the mistake of buying an electric chainsaw when I first moved out of the city. I thought it would be easier to start and adequate for slicing up rounds. It had terrible handling, jammed constantly and basically just had no power (I think it was a Homelite). I gave it away after just a couple of months. Everyone will have their own favorite, but I find my lightweight Echo works just fine. My partner does refer to it as the "girlie chainsaw" because it is small, but I don't cut down big trees or do real heavy duty work with it. My partner has "the he-man" version of my Echo (sorry I can't remember the model numbers) and although I consider myself a feminist, I know the benefits of upper body strength when it comes to tree work- so he does the big stuff. I think you are better off with the gas powered saw- either light or heavy.

Maybe technology has improved for the electric chainsaw in the last few years-perhaps the store has a test model you could try out for a few days before making a decision. Let this skeptic know if it turns out well.

7. Hoop

Hoop Well-Known Member

Electric chain saws are almost useless for cutting up firewood.....given there anemic power. A swede saw could cut the stuff faster.

I have an electric chain saw, but use it for log notching and for instances where a 20" bar/chain is too big.

I'll be glad when I'm finished.....so I can throw the useless electric chain saw in the lake.

If you want a useless tool......buy yourself an electric chain saw.

8. Paul Wheaton

Paul Wheaton Well-Known Member

I have a 3.5 horsepower electric remington. I also have a stihl 025.

I take the stihl out, cut up the trees and toss logs in the pickup. I then drive home, toss logs on the sawbuck and use the electric to cut the logs. Clean, quiet, plenty of power, always starts instantly, doesn't stink, and I've cut some 18 inch logs with it.

I had a 3.0 hp one for a few weeks, but it didn't have an automatic oiler. The 3.5hp has an automatic oiler.

It cost about 80 bucks and looks cheesy, but so far it has cut up about eight cords of wood and shows no signs of giving up. It seems to have just as much power as the stihl.

I've sharpened the chains myself. Just like the stihl (well, the chain size is slightly smaller, but you know what I mean).

If I can get a couple more years out of it before it dies, I'll throw it away and buy another.

9. cntrydude

cntrydude Active Member

Like Paul, I cut and haul the trees close to the house. I have a little electric chain saw, it works great! Much less stress and noise than the gas saw. Plus I don't worry so much about ''kick back'' when my boys are helping.