Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Well, I don't ride or own one, but I certainly would be interested in your experiences with one. I have seen them advertised and wondered about the accuracy of their claims. It would be a good fit with my solar system and would save a gob of gas. Tell us about range, durability, what model you have, effects of hills, body weight etc....might be a good thing!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My ebike is a regular Mongoose mountain bike from Walmart with an electric hubmotor kit that I added.
I got the brushed motor kit from Wilderness Energy, though there are other places selling other kits, some cheaper and some much more expensive.
With the "extended range" battery pack (3 12 volt 12 amp hour batteries in series) I got around 10 to 12 miles per charge when it was new, now the batteries are 3 years old and I can only get about 4 miles per charge. The more expensive brushless motor claims much longer range.
I am about 210 lbs and we have several small hills.
On fresh batteries I can ride all over town, even up all the small hills without pedaling.
Everything seems quite well made, though the charger that came with it burned up early in the second year and I had to buy a new one.
I like the kit because I can put it on whatever bike I want, I have changed bikes once already. It's nice not to be stuck with an uncomfortable bike.
With a fresh charge on the batteries I have hit 23 mph on a flat paved straight road.
That's without pedaling.
I ride it to work and back every day, as well as around town for light shopping etc.
I'll be happy to answer any other questions, I'm a bit loopy right now, been up most of the night. Sorry if I sound a bit disjointed.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Interesting......range seems the issue...some brushless are claiming 30 mile ranges, but I'm sure that is a new system under ideal circumstances. The little two cycle (and some 4 cycle) gas systems seem equally attractive, if they are durable and not as loud as the older conversion systems. If you have an interest, there is some great stuff going on at: bikemotor.com
Their little four wheel deal is interesting, but the local laws will probably have difficulty calling that a "cycle".

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, yes, range is the issue.
Of course you get better range when you pedal.
I probably forced my first set of batteries to an early death by riding around with almost no pedaling just because it is so much fun.
As with everything, your mileage may vary.
Yeah, those scooters are really slick.
There are lots of the gas powered ones around here, I have never seen an electric one.
I like the idea, but I like to have the option of pedaling if I have / want to.
The higher speed would be nice.
Thanks for the link Gary, cool site with some GREAT ideas.
I have been thinking of building a solar charging station for my bike, it's good to see that other folks are on it too.
Les

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
lynnheater71968 said:
Thanks Gary and way to go guy.

About how much does the electric scooter cost? It looks new. Can I get a older one
and maybe save a little money?
Hi,
Its actually Don's scooter not mine -- I have been thinking seriously about doing one like it, or an electric bike conversion.
I think that the EV scooters are fairly pricey, but you can drop Don an email -- his address is in the article, and he is happy to answer questions. He might have some ideas on alternatives to the EV scooter.

There is an article on his scooter in the latest issue of Home Power -- but the plans are not as detailed as the ones on my site :)

Gary

·
Just howling at the moon
6,586 Posts
lynnheater71968 said:
Thanks Gary and way to go guy.

About how much does the electric scooter cost? It looks new. Can I get a older one
and maybe save a little money?
here's the scooter http://www.evtamerica.com/

The problem would be finding a used one. All I can say is watch Ebay

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.