Elderberry plant Q's

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by working-mom, Oct 9, 2005.

1. working-mom

working-mom Registered Redneck Woman

I waswondering if elderberry plants would grow in Northcentral Minnasota and North Western Wisconsin?? Could they be transplanted and moved thier??
    Thanks,
    working-mom
    :angel:

2. bugstabber

bugstabber Chief cook & weed puller Supporter

They grow in eastern South Dakota. You could google Sambucus niger and check for growing area. Then double check to make sure that is the one which is safe to eat. :confused:

3. working-mom

Thats great thanks.
    I want to get the kind that I can eat because I want to make a tincture out of them for the flu....
    :cowboy:

4. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

They grow in Canada, should be ok where you are. I would think they would transplant ok. The black elderberry is what you want for the flu.

5. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

buy the dried berries and plant some. It will take a few years before it is producing.

6. working-mom

Thanks all!! Have any of you ever used the berries for anything but medicinal values?? Any info is greatly appreciated!!
    :clap:

7. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Elderberries grow wild in the fencerows in Indiana. The fences are disapering and so are the elderberries. My mother made elderberry jam out of wild ones. That stuff was delicious.
    My son makes wine with them. His favorite.

8. working-mom

Thats good news my sweetie is from Indiana so maybe when we go down to see his mom and brothers and sister then we can find some to transplant!! Thanks for that info!!
    :dance:

9. Nancy in Maine

Nancy in Maine Well-Known Member

THey grow wild down by the rivers here in central Maine and it gets down to -20 degrees every winter. I've made wine from elderberries. My mother-in-law used to add elderberry juice to her jellies to give it a pretty color.

10. Itu

Itu Member

I have used elderberries to make tinctures. I have used the flowers to make teas. The berries are especially good for making jelly. The seeds in them are quite large, so I really don't like using them for jam or pie. I have made pie out of them and removed the seeds, but it is a lot of work. Every year I freeze about 20 gallons of elderberries. I have found the best way it to take the clumps of berries and stick them in the freezer for a couple of hours. The shake, or run your hand down the stems and the berries come off much easier. Also be weary of the big stems as they contain cyanide.

11. working-mom

Wow that great thanks everyone for the wonderful info I am deffinately going to add the elderberry to my list of bushes to put on the new place!!

12. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

We picked elderberries at a nearby farm and threw lots of them into our fencerows, hoping they'd grow. Saw a few small ones growing this year. We are border of zones 5&6, so they should grow where you are.

We make elderberry brandy & I freeze them to make pies.

13. working-mom

That is great thanks for the info. I am definatley going to try to ge tmore information about the plant and how and where to grow it. Any suggestions on books???
    :angel:

14. Mel-

Mel- Well-Known Member

farmers here are too clean and apparently they hate fencerows as much as morning glory! (I'm in indiana also but the southern end).

they grow all around the creek by me and I have a couple of volunteers now in my yard. I tried making elderberry jam one year and it tasted really bland. could you post your mothers recipe?

15. working-mom

Yes please I'd interested in that also!!!

16. working-mom