Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just came back from picking elderberries and was wondering (as I picked), most of the berries were a deep purplish color and they could easily be removed from the stems. On the same bush were berries that were a black/dark purple in color and they too could be easily removed from the stems. Now, which ones are the ripest? Somewhere I read how you could tell, but it's been years. Also something about removing all the berries and letting they sit in water, those that floated weren't ripe enough.

Anyone out there got any advice? Also, I've got dehydrated berries from like '98 and haven't used them yet. Got any good recipes? Thanks alot!

Good day to all!
elinor

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
I would say the Darker ones would be the Riper.I just make Pies and Jam out of them.I have made Wine in the past.

big rockpile

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Elderberry Crunch Bread - Wild Food Recipe More Desserts/Baked Goods Recipes Solutions
Adapted from The Wild Vegetarian Cookbook, by 'Wildman' Steve Brill (Harvard Common Press, 2002).
Elderberries are the size of cultivated currants but very strongly flavored, crunchy, and not as sweet. Raw, they have a slightly rank flavor and give some people indigestion, so always cook them. You may also dehydrate and reconstitute them before you use them.

Simple Solution:

Here is a recipe that demonstrates how good elderberries taste if you use them sparingly, with other ingredients, and sweeten the recipe.

This bread contains all kinds of things crunchy: sunflower seeds, coconut, granola, and, of course, elderberries.

INGREDIENTS
3 3/4 cups rye flour and 1 1/3 cups barley flour, or 1 1/3 any whole-grain flour
5 tablespoons freshly gorund flaxeeds
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 1/4 cups apple juice or other unsweetened fruit juice
2 tablespoons corn oil
1 teaspoon coconut extract (optional)
1 teaspoon amaretto extract (optional)
2 cups elderberries
1 cup granola
1 cup shelled raw sunflower seeds
1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
2 tablespoons lecithin granules
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

2. Mix the flour, ground glaxseeds, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. 3. In a medium-size bowl, mix together the apple juice, liquid stevia, if you are using it, lemon juice, corn oil, and extracts. Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, being careful not to overmix. Stir in the elderberries, granola, sunflower seeds, coconut, and lecithin.

4. Press the dough into 2 oiled 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 2 1/2- inch bread pans. Sprinkle the cinnamon on top. Set a pan of hot water on the bottom of the oven to keep the crust soft. Bake the loaves until a toothpick inserved in the center emerges clean, about 1 hour.

5. Remove the loaves from the oven and let them cool on a wire rack before slicing.
MAKES 2 LOAVES

I found this while out there surfing the www

Belinda

·
Registered
72 Posts
Last year, I just got a few. the birds beat me to them.

But I had read how good the tincture was for colds and flue. So I took the few that I had and crushed them and put them in some vodka, to save until needed.

I haven't needed them. No colds or flue, so I can't tell you how it works.

·
Premium Member
24,573 Posts
The elderberries are just starting to get ripe here in northern MS. I always pick them when they're so purple they look black....as stated above, the darker the riper. I make jelly with mine.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for the info. I think I'll just dehydrate them. Have to break out the dehydrator anyway since a friends' apples are starting to fall.

Good day to all.
elinor

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I have used elderberries that have been dehydrated to make a tea when I have the feeling I am coming down with something. I have not had a cold or flu since I started using them.

Rehydrated that can be used just as they are used fresh in jams, jellies, pies etc.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I have used them for almost everything, but jam is great (just use the blueberry recipe in any box of certo), and I often throw them into 'bumble berry' stuff too. Now, I just moved a couple months ago and we have NO blue elderberries here, jut scarlet ones. They are beautiful but it seems like no one here knows if you can eat them or not. Any ideas? Are the bright red ones edible too?

babs

·
Registered
416 Posts
Love that idea about drying them for tea in the winter to combat the flu. Mine are still green here in zone 5. Including some of the underipe berries helps boost the pectin in the jam/jelly making. I don't use bought pectin. First ate elderberries at a friend's house--in a pie--with all the seeds. It was good, but a challenge.There is a red elderberry. I think West of the Miss. It is edible, but must be well cooked, and I don't know how tasty it would be. I think I'd check with the natives of the area before eating the stuff.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Kept worrying about those red elderberries. Checked, and here's what I found: Flowers are edible--use in fritters, pandcakes, muffins. Berries are poisonous raw, although birds eat them. When boiled, they can be used in jams and jellies.

People do eat them--well cooked.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Hey, Thanks MaKettle. I appreciate that. They are awful pretty and there are so many it seems a shame to waste them if they are edible and palatable. I will report back.

Babs

·
Premium Member
24,573 Posts
LOL...this thread gave me the urge to get out and pick elderberries this evening. The only place we have them growing is the far end of the pond in the front yard. It's very overgrown there and my husband recently killed a four foot water moccasin and a smaller one there. SO, I picked from the riding lawnmower. Only got stuck once. I figured any snakes that might be lounging about would be scared of the mower. Must've worked...only thing I saw was a big field rat. The elderberry bushes were full of birds so it's going to be a challenge to get my share!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts